New Fram Extra Guard vs New Supertech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on which is better? Just thought about it on the drive home, always looking for good cheap products to save some money. I really like Supertech oil, I have used it with no problems before, but I have always gotten nicer Purolator or Wix filters. But from the budget oil filters at Walmart, would you go with a Fram Extra Guard or a New Supertech oil filter and why?

I have never liked the SuperTech ADBV's.... They just don't last (Champ or Wix)

I'd definitely run the new Fram Extra Guard instead - - - for like, a whole $1 more?

I drive a 2004 Highlander, 4 cylinder. Lot's of short trips, short commutes to college and work place 1, and a long-ish drive (30min/30miles) once a week to work place 2. I am a penny pincher (I am cheap as [censored]) to be honest but that is kind of just my current position overall being in school and working 2 jobs. I like so save where I can haha. Thanks for the info! I keep OCI's around 5k btw as per owners manual.

Last edited:
Yup, the price is super close. Like ~$3 vs ~$4. I am definitely cheap, but ~$1 still won't kill me for the better ADBV. Thanks for the info!

I'd use the Fram. Millions of them out there on the road, not a pretty filter but gets the job done.

The newer Fram orange cans have looked a fair amount better than they used to Nick 1994. My 7317 looked really great after I cut it open. And I have seen the ph 8s look a good amount better compared to how they used to look.

The new ST is E-core with the plastic cage, which doesn't work in cars that use spin-on filters. The ones that aren't Ecores have the louvers which may or may not be fully opened properly (Hastings/Baldwin/Clarcor is the only company that seems to know hoe to make them, and they use a different design). Fram uses round holes in their center tubes. Plus, the orange cans use a silicone ADBV now, too

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Now Fram PH filters have silicone ADBV, definitely worth the extra buck.

+1

came here to say this
thumbsup2.gif

The ST10358 cartridge apparently IS an ExtraGuard (the older US-made version) in a different box. I didn't similarly compare Supertech to Fram in other cartridge models, so don't know the same is true of them. (It's obviously not true of spin-ons.)

Originally Posted By: AnonOIl
I drive a 2004 Highlander, 4 cylinder. Lot's of short trips, short commutes to college and work place 1, and a long-ish drive (30min/30miles) once a week to work place 2. I am a penny pincher (I am cheap as [censored]) to be honest but that is kind of just my current position overall being in school and working 2 jobs. I like so save where I can haha. Thanks for the info! I keep OCI's around 5k btw as per owners manual.

For the price, both of those filters are a lousy deal. You are much better off buying the Genuine Toyota oil filters for $3.50/ea shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ten-10-90915-YZZF1-Genuine-Toyota-Oil-Filters-w-Drain-Gaskets-Camry-Rav4/351808703826?hash=item51e96ecd52:g:f5oAAOSwoudW8BJa&vxp=mtr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back