Beretta or Taurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Taurus PT 99. It’s a reliable good shooting gun. Won’t hold near the resale value or cool factor of a Beretta but I bought it to shoot not flip anyway.

The earliest ones, produced on the Beretta tooling, are the best ones.

My EDC carry is an old Taurus PT92 from the early production.

Ironically, I have a brand new PT92 that I have never shot yet - it's looks to be VERY well made.

If you wanted a Beretta, why would you go after a copy?

Unless it was actually an improvement... Im not seeing H&K making a Beretta 92 copy for less money, so...

Taurus is possibly on its way out of business after this last lawsuit (Carter v. Taurus). A bunch of us FORMER Taurus owners are waiting for them to remedy us on guns we sent in for replacement.

They are mismanaged and irresponsibly run. You're free to spend your money on them but do it knowing that their "lifetime warranty" is a joke.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Both terrible cars

Awesome.

UD

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Both terrible cars

YES!
wink.gif

Aim Surplus has real Beretta 92s models for $310. Real Beretta cheaper than Taurus.

I am not opposed to imported guns at all but Taurus leaves me stone cold. Had one of their revolvers years ago, it worked but it just wasn't what it should have been. On the flip side I know more recent Taurus owners who are very happy with them.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

My EDC carry is an old Taurus PT92 from the early production.

I honestly don't know how some of you guys EDC a pistol heavy enough to double as a boat anchor. The older I get the less I want something helping gravity pull my pants down. G27s, Shields, and Model 642s have become my choice for EDC.

This is a case where you spend the extra money to get the Beretta. If not, you'll always kick yourself for buying the cheaper clone. There are so many 92FS out there, you can fid one used for cheaper. I have owned at least 7 or 8 of them (used). Cheapest was $275, some were $350, a few in the $375 range.

Get the Beretta. It's not like they're super expensive in the first place. If it's between Taurus and throwing rocks, get the Taurus. If it's between Taurus and Beretta, then it's Beretta hands down without any further thought.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I want to add a Beretta 92 and 96 to the collection, and wondered if the Taurus equivilants are worth considering.

No!
Beretta over Taurus without a blink - without a stutter - without a consideration-exchange pause.

I have a Taurus 92 Stainless Got it about 8 months ago. I also have a 92C that I picked up in gun shop about three years ago. It was made in 1993. Both are excellent guns. Taurus got some guns right, some models were gimmicks for sure...the Curve for example and I believe they have had some quality issues but way fewer are on their staplease like the 92s 1911s and the PT111 second generation. Their revolvers, especially older models are fine. I like the frame safety of the Taurus vs the slide on the Beretta. Just a personal preference. I have a Taurus PT111 G2 and it is a rock solid, reliable carry pistol.

If you stick with their 92,19911s or the PT111 second iteration you'll be good.

I have the PT111 G2 and agree that is seems to be a nicely built gun, especially for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back