Hy-Per lube oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I tried this oil additive due to reading about it on here. MolaKule stated it was a real deal additive that was actually worth using. Being the fact that MolaKule is one of the most knowledgeable people on this entire board (top 3 in my book) I felt very comfortable giving g this a go in the lady's Camry. Well between adding a whole 12 ozs of this Hy-Per lube and Federated Auto semi synthetic oil the motor was MUCH quieter than it had been on a 50/50 mix of Super S and Cam2 5w30. Very interesting was when the car was started right after changing the oil was the first half second the motion had that loud ticking... Then after the new oil and Hy-Per lube hit the top end of the motor... Way, way quieter. I am impressed. So.. if you got a loud motor.. give this Hy-Per lube a try. Ohh and only add 1 oz per qt of oil. Which I way over did it in this situation. So, when I got another bottle of Hy-Per lube it will be good for 3 oil changes in the 98 Camry. Got it on sale for $15. Between the cost of the Federated Auto semi synthetic oil and the Hy-Per lube it works out to $14 per run. Not too shabby
smile.gif

And when I did a drain and refill of my CVT fluid I will be getting Amsoil CVT fluid. Again because of MolaKule's help and recommendation plus cronk running it with no issues in his Nissan.

I have also tried this additive. I got several bottles at ollies bargain hunt for $4.99 a piece. It does make the engine quieter, and I believe it is because the ester molecules make the oil more polar, so it clings better to the metal. Molakule also said that these polymeric esters can completely replace zddp and achieve lower wear numbers. The hyperlube polymer esters are made by AKZO chemicals, and have the trademark name Ketjenlube. Fuchs is a company who uses similar polymeric esters in their oils.

I have a bottle sitting in the basement. Next oil change I might give it a try @ 1 ounce/quart of oil in one of my three vehicles and send it off for a UOA for comparison.

If you are running an oil with low Phos and Zinc levels AND are tracking this product will help reduce wear.

Of course if you are using a racing oil with a high level of ZDDP, you don't need it.

DO NOT add it to ANY type of ATF
31.gif
as it is both a friction modifier AND an AW, and can cause slippage in AT's because it changes the dynamic friction coefficients in ATF.

Quote:
Being the fact that MolaKule is one of the most knowledgeable people on this entire board (top 3 in my book)
Obviously he hasn't spoken to my wife or students.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Ohh yeah I would never add this to any ATF. That's why I told Reddy45 I did not think it was a good fit for the wet clutch set up.

And I have no doubt that you do a very good job as a educator. You do a good job on here in a setting where it is not the easiest setting to do it in.

And yeah I understand the wife deal. Even in stuff I do with my work I feel like my lady thinks I'm a idiot
lol.gif

Which I tell her all the time... I'm not a moron.

The other day was tough.. my lady's grandmother passed on Saturday am. Very tough. Ms Betty did a whole whole lot for us. Including the 98 Camry she gave my wife. A perfectly maintained car that had only 66k miles on it when we got it 4 years ago. A great, great car. I drove it Sunday afternoon with my lady there. It was really nice. Made me happy in spite of a really tough tough loss. That car has a lot of meaning now. It really is a legacy car in a way. And I want it to be the best it can be. And with the Federated synthetic oil and Hy-Per lube it really had it run much quieter.

Hy-Per Lube also has another additive called Oil Treatment that you can add in place of a quart of oil when you change it. Does this additive provide any real benefit as the above product for a daily driver as I have a 96 Ford Taurus that runs great, and I use it to and from work 12 miles one way with half being at least in stop and go traffic here in Austin TX. I change every 5,000 miles as it is easy to keep up with those intervals.

Last edited:
One of members asked a very good question regarding copolymers and here was my answer:

Quote:
A copolymer is a series of seperate isomers linked together.

In the case of HyperLube Zinc replacement, it is a copolymer of alpha-olefin isomers and dibutylester isomers linked together.

The alpha-olefin isomers and dibutylester isomers are linked together via a reaction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mctmatt
Hy-Per Lube also has another additive called Oil Treatment that you can add in place of a quart of oil when you change it. Does this additive provide any real benefit as the above product for a daily driver as I have a 96 Ford Taurus that runs great, and I use it to and from work 12 miles one way with half being at least in stop and go traffic here in Austin TX. I change every 5,000 miles as it is easy to keep up with those intervals.

No, that product is solely an oil thickener, is only good for smokers, and has no place in well maintained engine that has used modern oils.

Last edited:
Thanks MolaKule, very much appreciate your expertise on this forum as it is especially helpful to someone like me who is severely lacking in the knowledge of chemistry.

+1 mctmatt. Thanks MolaKule. Might be a solution (extra hedge) for modern diesel owners with the whole Ford CK4 oil drama. Don't see why one couldn't run it in a DPF equipped vehicle? Seems like a great product to address concerns over lower Zinc and Phosphorus. Appreciate the info on this product.

Nah, no problems at all jake. It's been great in the lady's Camry. MolaKule says you can use 1ml per qt of oil for a current API SN oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Nah, no problems at all jake. It's been great in the lady's Camry. MolaKule says you can use 1ml per qt of oil for a current API SN oil.

No SN in my old beater
grin.gif
current fill is a monograde that meets CF/SL with zinc and phosphorous around 1200 ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back