91 dodge Dakota 3.9 overcharging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. A fellow co worker of my wife’s has a Dakota that has an overcharge condition. They want me to take a look at it . So I’m shopping for info before I dig into it. I haven’t worked on an old Dakota in quite a long time. I do believe a shop put a new alternator on it. I just wanted to clarify isn’t the voltage regulator built in to the ecm on them? If so wouldn’t it be very likely that would be the issue? What else to look for and check? I appreciate all the advice and input.

It's in the ECM. But do a proper diagnosis. On mine when it was overcharging the problem was still with the alternator.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
There is a way to add an external regular.

This. They're $10 on ebay.

Also check the battery temp sensor under the tray, grounds, and there's an easily corroded main power line junction right under the fusebox on the drivers side fender.

The guy said it had one on the fire wall. I assume that would be the one they added ?
If so how does that effect the pcm?

Originally Posted By: ram_man
The guy said it had one on the fire wall. I assume that would be the one they added ?
If so how does that effect the pcm?
Oh then its not controlled by the ecm.

Ok so that should be simple enough to figure out. I wonder if he has it grounded well.
Also he said he had the transmission rebuilt 3 days ago and it’s slipping. The shop said it could be the check ball in the transmission line starving it for fluid. I suppose that could happen any thoughts on that? Is that transmission at all computer controlled? I ask because high voltage could play apart in causing issues if it is. Although I thought those had a 42rh correct?
My initial thought was take the transmission back to the guy that did the work. He said when it was slipping climbing a hill he shut it off and then re fired it and it then went ok and quit slipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back