Wanenmacher Gun Show & NRA Dallas Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever gone to Wanenmacher? I know the stats--6 miles of tables, if you look at them all it's only 15 seconds per table, etc....

But, can it be done in one day? I'm not interested in muskets, henry rifles, knives. Actually, more interested in reloading components in addition to competition gear.

I'm also going to swing by Powder Valley on the way to Tulsa--and save a hazmat!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone been to the NRA Dallas Meeting? Going to make it this year. As with my post on the Wanenmacher show--can this thing been done in one day? If so, are any of the days better than others?

I've heard the lines, parking, etc., can be nuts. I can go any day. Was thinking Saturday, but Friday or Sunday is fine. Not going to any side presentations--only the main floor displays

Last edited by a moderator:
The NRA show can easily be done in one day unlike the "BIG" Tulsa show. I'll be at both. You should pre-register (if you are already a NRA member) which will save a lot of time getting in the NRA show. Saturday is the day the member business meeting will be held but will be the most crowded day.

I'm sure if you get there early you can cover the bulk of it in a day easy. They advertise 6 miles of tables, but a lot of it is junk. Velvet pictures of John Wayne, Beanie Babies, at least 2 full isles of tee shirts, along with every size duffle bag there is.... (All made in China, and stuffed full of Chinese newspaper). Then you have the old lady with blue hair selling pretzels, popcorn, and stale chocolate chip cookies. Followed usually by the guy selling cheap Taiwan pocket knives, bayonets, sabers, and swords. With copies of Mein Kampf stacked next to them. (All autographed by Hitler of course). And don't forget the guy with the steamer that smells like week old dirty socks, who demonstrates that junk that keeps your glasses from getting fogged up.

Moving on to all the book and magazine sales. (You can pick up that 1963 Gun Digest you've been losing sleep for not having for the last 55 years). Also I'm sure you'll find the puppy dogs for sale. Usually in cardboard boxes shoved under the tables.... Just follow the smell and the little kids crawling around on the floor playing with them. Then there is the guy with the red neck and pot marked face, who has the skanky girlfriend in the butt shorts and stripper heels, with too much makeup. Selling dental picks, Dremel tools, old files, and every size and shape brush ever made in both brass and nylon. They're usually right next to the table with the obese couple selling bright and shiny Bag-O-Bullets reloads in Zip Lock Baggies.

Then don't forget the belt buckle guy. He's got them all in silver and gold, (Champion this or that). Usually with the appropriate amount of genuine Indian turquoise jewelry to go with it. After you sift out all of that nonsense, along with 50% of the guns aren't worth the powder it would take to blow them up, all priced to sell for $895.00 and up. You can EASILY cover the stuff that's actually worth looking at in a day.

I'm hoping the mods will let this be discussed and trim out any protester posts rather than lock the discussion.

I plan on going myself. Not a fan of Dallas's congestion in general but it'll be packed.

Make sure you check if Powder Valley will be open/staffed before you swing by. I seem to recall that they pack up and head down to the show, so you wouldn't want to have bad timing.

You'll probably get some good reloading supplies, but competition gear (or most gear in general) can be bought for cheaper online nowadays.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Make sure you check if Powder Valley will be open/staffed before you swing by. I seem to recall that they pack up and head down to the show, so you wouldn't want to have bad timing.

You'll probably get some good reloading supplies, but competition gear (or most gear in general) can be bought for cheaper online nowadays.

Already checked with Powder Valley--they won't be there this year. I figured as much on the competition gear, but I'll give it a go. I'm hoping to find some decent coated bullets. Well, i'm really hoping that ACME bullets is there

Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm sure if you get there early you can cover the bulk of it in a day easy. They advertise 6 miles of tables, but a lot of it is junk. Velvet pictures of John Wayne, Beanie Babies, at least 2 full isles of tee shirts, along with every size duffle bag there is.... (All made in China, and stuffed full of Chinese newspaper). Then you have the old lady with blue hair selling pretzels, popcorn, and stale chocolate chip cookies. Followed usually by the guy selling cheap Taiwan pocket knives, bayonets, sabers, and swords. With copies of Mein Kampf stacked next to them. (All autographed by Hitler of course). And don't forget the guy with the steamer that smells like week old dirty socks, who demonstrates that junk that keeps your glasses from getting fogged up.

Moving on to all the book and magazine sales. (You can pick up that 1963 Gun Digest you've been losing sleep for not having for the last 55 years). Also I'm sure you'll find the puppy dogs for sale. Usually in cardboard boxes shoved under the tables.... Just follow the smell and the little kids crawling around on the floor playing with them. Then there is the guy with the red neck and pot marked face, who has the skanky girlfriend in the butt shorts and stripper heels, with too much makeup. Selling dental picks, Dremel tools, old files, and every size and shape brush ever made in both brass and nylon. They're usually right next to the table with the obese couple selling bright and shiny Bag-O-Bullets reloads in Zip Lock Baggies.

Then don't forget the belt buckle guy. He's got them all in silver and gold, (Champion this or that). Usually with the appropriate amount of genuine Indian turquoise jewelry to go with it. After you sift out all of that nonsense, along with 50% of the guns aren't worth the powder it would take to blow them up, all priced to sell for $895.00 and up. You can EASILY cover the stuff that's actually worth looking at in a day.

Now i know that's the case at most other gun shows, but it was my understanding that the non-gun tables were limited to 2% overall.

Originally Posted By: Irishman
The NRA show can easily be done in one day unlike the "BIG" Tulsa show. I'll be at both. You should pre-register (if you are already a NRA member) which will save a lot of time getting in the NRA show. Saturday is the day the member business meeting will be held but will be the most crowded day.

Thanks for the pre-registration tip! Just signed up--Will plan on Friday as the day--or Sunday if the circumstances change. Sunday has two fewer hours--not to re-ask the same question, but do you think the Sunday limited hours is at all problematic for seeing the main exhibition? That might be easier for me that Friday, and possibly fewer people (just speculating on the fewer people)

My guess is that Sunday will have the fewest number of people present but between Friday or Sunday I would select Friday. I will be there on Saturday only. We will take the light rail trains to avoid the traffic and parking problems. Hope you enjoy the show.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I've never seen any of this drivel at Wanenmachers.

As far as the November show goes, no, you can't see it all in one day. I doubt you can see it all in two days.

I haven't been to the spring show - have other things to do in the spring.

Well, factors aligned against me and I missed the Wanenmacher show. I will do my darndest to get there in the fall.

I did hit the NRA annual meeting. It was great. I don't know if it would be enjoyable every year, but it sure was fun the first time. The great part about it is, say, you want to look at scopes. You are interested in Leupold. Well, try to find a gun store that has every scope they make in stock for you to look at. Well, they're there at the NRA convention, with a factory rep willing to spend all the time in the world with you to explain the whys and hows of each model in how they compare.

Say you like M&P's. Ever look at the 40 variations S&W offers? Well, they were all there at the show. Same with Sig--truly a wall of guns. Sometimes you meet a guy that makes the guns, too. I was at the Les Baer booth and Les himself came up and chatted me up!

The great thing was meeting gun industry personalities, be they from youtube, competition, the industry, etc. I met:

Sheriff Jim Wilson
Kyle Lamb
Paul Markel (student of the gun)
John Lovell (Telluric Training)
iraqVeteran8888
MAC from Military Arms Channel
John Paul (JP Rifles)
Taran Butler (and harem)
Sen. John Cornyn
Joshua Coburn
22Plinkster
Jerry Miculek
Lena Miculek
Les Baer
Steve Hornady
Paul Noonan (FM Products)

All were more than willing to say "hello."

I also saw Chris Paranto and Rob Leatham and the folks from the Talking Lead podcast.

Enjoyed the drives across Texas. Came in from Kansas then Oklahoma. I stopped in at Powder Valley in Kansas on the way down and picked up some powder (and avoided shipping and the hazmat). On the way back to Colorado i went via Amarillo.

Friday night Brownell's hosted a "Cigars and Guns" event up in Frisco. I was able to smoke a cigar with some of these guys. All in all, it was a great trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back