Defective Fram Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a newer car 1 1/2 years ago and at the time bought a few filters to keep for future use. I bought two Mobil 1 filters and one Fram Ultra from my workplace. I used the Mobil one a year ago and today was planning on using the Fram Ultra. I always run synthetic oil, so these filters were fine for that. He went to put on the Fram and it wouldn't thread on. He took a micrometer and measured the old filter and the new, and found the Fram had a smaller diameter threaded circle then the Mobil 1. We ended up reinstalling the old used filter to get me back home. I took the Fram back to my workplace and we got another of the same # off the shelf. Measured it with a micrometer and sure enough, the newer stock was correct and the one I had was not.

What kind of quality control does Fram have to let filters like this make it all the way to the shelf in a sealed box? This seems like a major manufacturing blunder on their part. This technically could have left someone stranded. Being that I bought the filter a year and half ago, returning it wouldn't have been an option had it not been from my workplace that offers returns done years ago and not just 14 or 30 days. This was my first use of a Fram Ultra and all the reviews everyone gives them on here, I was expecting a little better then this. For a filter this price, quality control doesn't seem to have worked in this case.

Should I just leave the Mobil 1 filter on for a second round or just swap it out with a new filter since I have a couple I can use? I put 7100km on the oil (mostly stop a go with short trips and once a year oil change) this last round. Oil didn't look too bad when it was draining.

I'm sure you checked, but was it the wrong filter in the right filter box?

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
I'm sure you checked, but was it the wrong filter in the right filter box?

The box was correct and so was the number on the filter itself. They literally fused the wrong thread section on this filter. It measured 19mm and was supposed to be 20.

No I brought the filter back to my workplace to let them defective it, so they can get credit for the exchange. I didn't take pictures at the time of the oil change.

http://www.fram.com/media/1082/standardvsmetric.pdf

My favorite part of the Fram website. Just a one time glitch, move along, nothing more to see. Next topic. They put the 3/4-16 baseplate on the wrong filter, 3/4 is essentially 19mm as you say, OOPS.
laugh.gif

Play the lottery ... maybe you're odds of having good luck will offset the odds of the bad luck. First instance reported of this happening on this board in over 10 years.

So from what I gather, this is not a common problem then. I wonder how many other of this filter were sold 1 1/2 years ago that may have been from a bad batch? Funny there is no mention of it. Ok. Move on.

Originally Posted By: Scott351W
So from what I gather, this is not a common problem then. I wonder how many other of this filter were sold 1 1/2 years ago that may have been from a bad batch? Funny there is no mention of it. Ok. Move on.

Could have called Fram and gave them the date code on the filter and explained the situation. They might have some other reported instances from that time period. Hard to say.

I usally get about 2 a month at walmart with messed up threads from the factory. The ones im talking about are the core filters. For tle use only. Mostly the 6607 have the bad threads but i seen it on a 3614 too. We usally do about 30-50 oil changes a day so i guess its not terrible quality control.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
I usally get about 2 a month at walmart with messed up threads from the factory. The ones im talking about are the core filters. For tle use only. Mostly the 6607 have the bad threads but i seen it on a 3614 too. We usally do about 30-50 oil changes a day so i guess its not terrible quality control.

So out of 1200 filters (using 40 per day for 30 days) there are 2 bad ones (and by messed up threads, you mean cross threaded or wrong size, or both?). That is a 0.17% error. Not sure what their QC numbers are, but just over a tenth of a percent is not bad in my book.

Now it does suck if you are mid oil change, your old filter was damaged during removal, and you have no filter to put on and no way to get another filter.
But hey, that is why you should have a stash of filters
smile.gif

Maybe that's why we OCD people always have an extra filter or two on the shelf.

Or is it because I'm an old Boy Scout???? Maybe both!
eek.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher

Now it does suck if you are mid oil change, your old filter was damaged during removal, and you have no filter to put on and no way to get another filter.
smile.gif

That's what Uber is for.

Originally Posted By: David2431
Maybe that's why we OCD people always have an extra filter or two on the shelf.

Or is it because I'm an old Boy Scout???? Maybe both!
eek.gif

most of us have more than 2 at home lol

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: blupupher

smile.gif

That's what Uber is for.

Never used it.
And for me, I always have other transportation, as well as extra filters.
Plus a Walmart and Auto Zone within easy walking distance of my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back