2011 Malibu Tie Rod Torque?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the torque spec. for a 2011 Chevy Malibu outer tie rod castle nut??

Thanks!

A little tighter than your typical asian-vehicle oil drain plug.
But it is somewhat pointless because the person who does your alignment will be loosening that nut again.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
A little tighter than your typical asian-vehicle oil drain plug.
But it is somewhat pointless because the person who does your alignment will be loosening that nut again.

Castle Nut Torque.

I don't see the spec in The Critic's list. Warstud is correct, I am looking for the nut that pulls the tapered tie rod shaft into the knuckle hole (aluminum).

I loosened the original tie rod nut, and with a torque wrench it returned to the same spot at about 40 ft. lb.

My elbow torque meter is not too accurate, LOL.

Tight is the correct torque, with a castle nut you have to tighten it to the next opening the cotter pin will go through never loosen so an exact torque is may not be possible unless you are luck and it happens to land on the correct spot.
They don't need to be ball busting tight just tight enough you can tighten it a little more to get the pin in.

And when the pin doesn't line up? I think he is replacing an elliptical offset nut which was OE with a aftermarket that uses a castle nut, if that's the case the spec no longer applies.
Still, he could go 30ftlb and then the next slot to line up and be close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back