'18 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost - Mildly Tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 F150 Lariat SCREW with the 3.5EB 10 Speed... I have a mild tune (87 octane) from 5star...and have their powertrain warranty just in case
smile.gif

Im contemplating on which will be my next oil for this season.
No Towing, 50/50 city/highway
Slightly heavy foot..... the torque in this thing is addictive!

Currently has 10,000kms
FF was changed out at 2000kms with 0W30 M1 AFE for this past winter.

Sitting On my garage shelf right now:
OILS
M1 0W40 Euro FS
M1 0W30 AFE
PUP 5W30
Total Quartz 9000 5w30
Total Quartz 5W40 Euro Spec

OIL FILTER
Purolator Boss
Denso

Im tempted to try the M1 or Total Euro spec in this thing

Thanks in advance

Of your existing choice of oils the Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE is turbo DI friendly, aka LSPI preventative due to a lower calcium and higher magnesium levels. Where as the other oils I would venture to say have the usual higher 2,000ish+ calcium levels. Whether in the end that makes a difference for you I don't know. If you voided your Ford warranty then what oil you use doesn't matter. Then the higher viscosity oils might hold up better with more performance use.

Whimsey

I think I would go for the 5w30. I thought you were not on warranty, but Whimsey touches on a good point. Use M1 or Shell. I would even go as far as using the Motorcraft to save a few more bucks.

First of all, what kind of "tune" could it possibly be to run 87 octane in a twin turbocharged 400hp V6?? Thats a joke, right? I know, knock sensors and timing strategies blah blah blah...

Its TWIN turbos!! Use a REAL oil with some viscosity! Those little turbos and that small V6 will chew up oil! I wouldn't put anything thinner than a 5W30 in it (preferably a 0W40) and for gosh sakes, use 91-93 octane fuel!! Its not a Focus!!!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
First of all, what kind of "tune" could it possibly be to run 87 octane in a twin turbocharged 400hp V6?? Thats a joke, right? I know, knock sensors and timing strategies blah blah blah...

Its TWIN turbos!! Use a REAL oil with some viscosity! Those little turbos and that small V6 will chew up oil! I wouldn't put anything thinner than a 5W30 in it (preferably a 0W40) and for gosh sakes, use 91-93 octane fuel!! Its not a Focus!!!

I was skeptical at first..... I do have 87 perf/tow and 91 perf tunes loaded into my nGauge.

I can honestly say that the 87 tune is effective and does make the truck feel more responsive and lively. I do see an increase of 3psi boost over stock program under full throttle and when i monitor timing there is no pull back.... also in Eco mode, i have gained a few ticks in mpg. I am impressed with the tune.

As for the oil, i am leaning towards M1 FS 0W40 for the next OCI (warmer months)..... then go back to M1 0W30 AFE come next winter

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back