Is Restore the most ignored additive ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...that really works?

Restore does do its job in worn but otherwise functional engines. It does safely boost compression for less that $10 an oil change. It amazes me more people don't use it or even know about it!

Yes it does. 1985 S-10 2.5, used some oil and idled rough. Put Restore in it, after 100'ish miles, idle smoothed, rear end dyno said 2 more HP.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
...that really works?

Restore does do its job in worn but otherwise functional engines. It does safely boost compression for less that $10 an oil change. It amazes me more people don't use it or even know about it!

Additives for the most part are frowned upon here, some actually work in certain applications. While a good fight is both enjoyable and entertaining at times, there are times it doesn't pay to comment. Maybe Restore is one of those products people would rather not comment about. I do know a few people who owned beaters over the years that did have success with it.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have used it. It made my vehicle have more pep and it ran smoother.

I had a similar experience with it in my 98 Camry V6. Seemed to pull harder but who know. Took a good while to flush it out though. I kept seeing remnants of it in many future oil changes (layer of build up on the bottom of the drained oil)

That was before I knew anything about oil. Now I'd probably never use it because I maintain my vehicles at pristine levels and they only need pure Synthetic oil with no additives.

Restore, just like most/many other additives works in the type of situation for which it is designed.

If your car/engine is in top working order with no issues, then Restore won't do diddly. The problem occurs when someone whose engine doesn't need it, and cannot benefit from it, adds it to their oil expecting miracle gains.

My first car was a 1981 Firebird with a Buick 3.8L. TONS of blow-by. So much so, I swear that for every ounce of oil burned, it was replaced by an ounce of gasoline. I knew it was time to change the oil when the oil pressure light was flickering at idle when warm because the oil had been thinned out so much. That was at about 1,500 miles.

After pouring in some Restore and I could go over 2,000 miles before the oil light would flicker. Also after using it, I was able to spin the tires on wet pavement. Previously, I needed to find piles of wet leaves to spin 'em.

01.gif

Is there a difference between 30 weight with Restore vs 40 weight oil? Also, I remember using the old STP that looked like honey and how it would quiet noisy lifters.

Last edited:
Had a lawn tractor with a smoking Onan engine. Added Restore and I had a lawn tractor with a smoking Onan engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back