Bar oil VOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever do a VOA on chainsaw bar lube? Be nice to know what is in it. I just use used motor oil for the past 25 yrs and it works fine. Just curious about it.

Haven't had an analysis done, but the bar oil I use definitely has a tackifier in it. Have also used used used motor oil when I remember to save some.

I haven't done a VOA on one, but if I were formulating one, I would put a little oil, a lot of polymer, some anti-rust additive, and maybe a friction modifier in it.

A tackifier is a polymer additive that basically makes a fluid sticky to the touch and adds adhesive properties to it.

Its way "tackier" than any motor or gear oil I have ran across. Now If I could just get my bars feed hole to stop plugging up with tree pulp, starving the chain!

There's a simple way of brewing your own.

Take a gallon of Mag1 5W20 Synthetic MO and add half of a Blue Bottle of STP or 4 oz. of the HyperLube goo oil additive to the container. Cap and turn container end-over-end about 6 times to mix.

You'll never have to clean the feed holes and it provides anti-wear and cling.

What you want is a 30 grade oil with a bit of ZDDP AW and cling.

Last edited:
I've used nothing but used motor oil for years.

The thick, black used diesel oil "sticks" to the chain the best, but makes a horrid black mess out of everything.

I used mostly used 5W-20, which "runs through" a little fast, but I don't mind the chain getting a little over-lubed.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
There's a simple way of brewing your own.

Take a gallon of Mag1 5W20 Synthetic MO and add half of a Blue Bottle of STP or 4 oz. of the HyperLube goo oil additive to the container. Cap and turn container end-over-end about 6 times to mix.

You'll never have to clean the feed holes and it provides anti-wear and cling.

What you want is a 30 grade oil with a bit of ZDDP AW and cling.

I'm using Stihl Ultra chain oil, their high end chain oil, in a pro level Stihl 362. I even have the oiler set wide open but I had to pull the bar and chain to clean out the oiler path from the head into the chain which was all full of pulp.

Too much Cling and not enough Sling.
smile.gif

Update: I filled the saw oiler with leftover PUP 0w-20 and it definitely clogged up less. I'm not sure it's protecting as well since it hardly clings to the chain at all from the looks of it, but it has to be better than no oil from a completely clogged Stihl E-matic oiling system.

Keep in mind I am running the saw in ~30 F degree temps.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Update: I filled the saw oiler with leftover PUP 0w-20 and it definitely clogged up less. I'm not sure it's protecting as well since it hardly clings to the chain at all from the looks of it, but it has to be better than no oil from a completely clogged Stihl E-matic oiling system.

Keep in mind I am running the saw in ~30 F degree temps.

You shouldn't have problem using that my friend cuts wood and he to uses plain multi weight oil in his and the bar, chain, and rim last just as long. plus the build up is less.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
i use plain non detergent sae 30 oil i don't want it to cling because it attracts sawdust.

The problem with most ND oils is they have only a single anti-foam additive component and no other additives, such as Anti-Wear, which the bar and chain needs to control wear.

For -30F, yeah, a 0W20/5W20 PCMO is what I would use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Anyone ever do a VOA on chainsaw bar lube? Be nice to know what is in it. I just use used motor oil for the past 25 yrs and it works fine. Just curious about it.

Used motor oil in a chainsaw creates a mist containing all kinds of contaminants. Not good for your health.

Used motor oil in a chainsaw creates a mist containing all kinds of contaminants. Not good for your health.

That and breathing woodsmoke too...great...

That and breathing woodsmoke too...great...

The only time I get wood that hot is in my firepit.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
interesting post as i always wondered about typical overpriced chain saw lube!!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I've used nothing but used motor oil for years.

The thick, black used diesel oil "sticks" to the chain the best, but makes a horrid black mess out of everything.

I used mostly used 5W-20, which "runs through" a little fast, but I don't mind the chain getting a little over-lubed.

Would you pour used motor oil on the ground ? That's is what you are doing...I know it not all that much... but.....

Tractor Supply sells bar oil for 8 bucks a gallon...That pretty inexpensive actually ..A gallon is more than enough for me to cut about 12-15 face cord for heating my house....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back