Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking at the Home Depot website and came across the 56 V lithium battery self propelled EGO Power Plus lawnmower. Not sure if you checked, but about 1/2 of the lawnmowers on display are battery electric. For small city lawns its looking like that is the way its going. Comments?

www.egopowerplus.com

Last edited:
If I had a small lot, like my mother-in-law does, I’d definitely go electric. She has a reel cutter, which I was surprised to hear she really likes. I would have guessed she’d get tired of the extra effort after a couple of mowings.

Well, over the last years battery power and energy storage has improved a lot so I would say it is now totally reasonable that a mower will work fine on batteries. Electric engines have a couple of great characteristics that differs from gas engines:
1. They have higher torque at lower rpm than high rpm, excellent in cars, and bogging down mowers
2. They are much less maintenance, fewer parts, less dirt inside etc
3. Less (local?) emissions. But if you charge from a coal power company, well, less fine. Either way, they smell less!
4. On grid charging is no prob. Off grid, it is still easier to carry fuel than batteries

Things that may be a problem:
A. Battery packs are still expensive, so they may be too small to last a large lawn and feel too expensive to buy an extra battery to be able to "re-fuel"
B. They are a bit of first generation mowers, so some features may not be top notch yet
C. Fast chargers are also expensive

I'm certain that electric will grow quickly into the garden space. The electric's characteristics are great and it addresses the main problem with mowers:
"They don't start unless new or managed by an artist maintenance guy from BITOG, and still require smelly gas cans and sometimes a bodybuilder to pull the cord hard enough!"

wink.gif

They claim 1 hour run time but the question for me would be what happens when you cut grass and weeds that are much thicker than the usual front lawn. My Honda commercial push mower has a tough time with the mowing after it rains and the weeds take off. I have to push hard to get the mower through weeds that are up to my knees.

I'd try 'electric', but my yard is too big.

My suggestion would be:
To get the most charges & life out of a Lithium Battery, read the Owners Manual.
When not in use, take the battery out and store in a cool place (basement).
Heat is no good for these batteries so don't leave in a hot garage during the Summer.

The advancements in battery technology has pushed air powered impact drivers to the brink of extinction. So I would be more likely to try battery powered trimmers (again after I gave up) even lawn mowers these days.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I have to push hard to get the mower through weeds that are up to my knees.

You can't kill a polar bear with a BB gun.

Weeds up to the knees = either:
1) Mow MUCH more often, or
2) Get a mower with more power.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I have to push hard to get the mower through weeds that are up to my knees.

You can't kill a polar bear with a BB gun.

Weeds up to the knees = either:
1) Mow MUCH more often, or
2) Get a mower with more power.

How many polar bears have you killed? I once killed a Grizzly with a Q-Tip.

J/K --> +1

I have both the EGO leaf blower and their weed wacker. LOTS of power! Real impressed with them. I own 58 wooded acreas and mow and weed 5 of those acres. Weed wacker battery lasts the whole time weeding around trees. Not sure I would buy their push mower for my use but for a small yard of an acre...piece of cake. They even have a chainsaw that I would buy if I didnt already have 2 Stihls.

Consumers Report included these in their roundup last year. Recommended models in order are EGO LM2101 67 points, One point separated these (Black+Decker CM2060C, Husqvarna LE121P,EGP LM2002, Echo CLM-58V4AH). I have not seen the new crop of reviews for 2018.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Still waiting for the Tesla lawnmower with the Ludicrous mode.
smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif

You joke, but I bet 50 years from now (hopefully much sooner!) there will be guys racing Tesla-equivalent electric ride-ons just like the country bumpkins do with gassers these days!

Photos from the local Home Depot. Battery electrics on the left (except for one). Gas on the right. Almost 50/50. The salesman was telling me the battery electric were for small yards. He didn’t know the 56 V version can do 1/2 acre with one battery. Now don’t get uptight. They are not for bush wacking.

However, the 80 V version is now out.

The automowers work incredibly well, a neighbour use three to keep a 6-7 acre meadow looking like a park or golf course. He would go crazy if he had to mow that on the rider-and it would look worse most days of the week.

And the eletric motors are not to be mistaken as a "BB gun" any more, had there been good batteries 130 yrs ago, we would not use gas engines in cars or mowers at all. Recently saw a electric snowmobile, 50 mile range but still cool.

And seriously, would anyone design with gas engines where you have electric power? Like a gas engine air conditioner or ventilation fan in you home? Or a gas engine escalator in the store?

Having said that, I love engines!

How long do batteries last and how much are new one. My John Deere is over 30 years old with nothing but basic maintenance.

I hear that they keep ca 80% capacity after 500-1000 charge cycles. I wouldn't think they last 30 yrs though, most equipment don't either. The motors however may easily last 30 years since electric motors are veery long lasting. One motor in a local saw mill has been running since like 1950 while everything else is replaced...
But batteries and electric motors don't take any maintenance like engine oil, cleaning carbs, replacing diaphragms, spark plugs, starting cords, And fuel (electricity) is cheaper, like 1/5 of the gas in a car. It might actually be a lower TCO.

But again, I love my engines! But I also love my Makita battery tools and thinking of buying a Husky kit of electric brushcutter and small chainsaw... Just pressing the switch sounds sweet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back