Acura TSX Splash Guard Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, maybe a strange question but for ATF D&F, I removed splash guard and can see a few pushpins missing, which I can use zip ties and what not.

My question is, for easier oil and ATF changes what if I keep it removed? Would it impact anything like more rust, debris or any deterioration related to no splash guard underneath?

Any advice or thoughts? If any negative impact, I'll just put it back on
thumbsup2.gif

These are not something you want to leave off. The water, grit, snow, leaves, road rodents will foul up the area if the covers are left off.

The pushpins to secure it are pretty cheap, go to your dealer or a good bodyshop and they'll set you up with the correct pieces.

Not critical to anything, but it does keep the underside a bit cleaner and probably improves areodynamics. If it's in good shape, put it on.
The one in my Mazda 3 held up for about 9 years, although I had to repair it once. But once it broke beyond repair, I just tossed it out and never replaced it.

Yeah, mine is structurally good and nothing is missing.

So I'll be definitely going to put it back on.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Alright, maybe a strange question but for ATF D&F, I removed splash guard and can see a few pushpins missing, which I can use zip ties and what not.

Better with cover.
1. Find part numbers of clips.
Check sites for Acura parts to get part numbers. There might be several different clips with different part numbers. For example:
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-parts/2013/acura/tsx-sedan/tsx-trim/5-speed-automatic-engine

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/auto-parts...nt-fenders-scat

Found these part numbers for 2013 TSX sedan

For example, if PartNo: 74110-TL2-A00 COVER ASSY., ENGINE (LOWER) is the splash guard you are finding, some parts that hold it on are:

16 90143-TL0-000 Bolt, Cover (Lower)
$3.45 $2.42

17 90673-TL0-000 Nut, Clip (6MM)
$3.73 $2.61

21 91505-S9A-003 Clip A, Bumper
$3.03 $2.12

One plastic clip for 2013 Tsx is 91505-S9A-003

2. Search Ebay for clips using Acura part number.
Get enough clips for several oil changes for relatively cheap on ebay. Clips to not always break when removed but some often do.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4...03&_sacat=0

Some are U.S.A. sellers so maybe a week or less to get them. Don't even need to leave home to get them.

^thanks Thrace but mine is 06. All bolts are good, only plastic pushpins or rivets are the ones which are missing and need to be replaced.

I might just order it from eBay and for now zip tie abd later replace it.

They are expensive at the dealer, but really cheap on eBay
thumbsup2.gif

It’s almost like you have to tear up those plastic pushpins to get them off. There’s an aftermarket company that makes a stainless steel undercarriage splash guard for the Z32 300ZX’s. I wonder if there’s one available for TSX/Accord?

The undercarriage splash guard for mine (also '06 TSX) has been sitting on a shelf in my garage for the last ~8 years and 150k+ miles. No issues.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
The undercarriage splash guard for mine (also '06 TSX) has been sitting on a shelf in my garage for the last ~8 years and 150k+ miles. No issues.

Curious, does it make changing engine oil, filter and ATF easier?

Since, what I can see, it needs to be removed for it?

Those things are a pain in the you know what. Almost makes me hate to change the oil. I have a 2014 ford fusion, and I have to remove (if I remember correctly) 12 screws to get it off. Although I only change oil twice a year, In my opinion it makes it double the work, and my ooold bones don't like it as much as they did 50 years ago. I think once the warranty is out I will leave it off.

On my 2010 TSX, it is held on with about 7 or 8 bolts. I use an electric 1/4 inch impact driver to zip them off, and then zip them back on. Super easy to do with the right tools. If you are missing some push pins, I’d spend the $10 to replace them.

Impact driver
ryobi-impact-drivers-p236-64_1000.jpg

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Nothing wrong with using zipties. Only the OCD types, which are many on here, will see it as improper.

One has to be careful what you are holding together with zipties. I hate the pushpins but they will release when there is too much tension as opposed to a ziptie ripping a part off or tearing a hole in a plastic part.

You can buy a bag of 50 of those Honda 2 piece push pins on amazon for well under $10. With all the Hondas in your signature you will find a use for them. You might as well buy some bags of engine and transmission drain plug washers also.

Mine's a manual, and removing it made it much easier to D&F the MTF. I'm guessing you'd have the same benefit with an automatic. ?

I don't recall how it affects oil changes.

FYI, the easiest way I've found to change the oil filter is to reach in through the passenger side wheel well. Even with a lift, that's how I go after it. You can either pull the tire or turn the wheel all the way left to gain access.

I have a 2004 TSX. the front splash guard/aero dynamic management, definitely adding time for oil change. there is a small bracket/plate, to access oil drain bolt. I remove the plate and never bother to put it back, I also cut a hole on it so I have a direct access to the ATF drain bolt. I figure tt's a 15 years old car and I not going to get more $$$ for having perfect underside aero....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back