2014 F150 ecoboost issue with instant MPG gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's ecoboost fuel gauge jumps or builds up to 99.9 mpg and sticks there. Other bizarre readings too. Any idea how I can fix this? Its the instant MPG fuel reading with the bar graph. The trip meter fuel gauge area seems fine. thanks.

The 99.9mpg reading can happen with the throttle closed and the truck coasting. Fuel injectors shut off in those conditions and you will see instant readings as infinite fuel economy. Over 35mph, fully warm and foot off the gas will make it happen.

I remember the Chrysler MPG gauges, they would do the same thing coasting down a long interstate downhill with the throttle closed. I actually wish all cars & trucks came with an accurate instantaneous MPG gauge, it would make it easier to get max MPGs in all situations-A/C on or off, towing (does lugging in that higher gear help), etc.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
The 99.9mpg reading can happen with the throttle closed and the truck coasting. Fuel injectors shut off in those conditions and you will see instant readings as infinite fuel economy. Over 35mph, fully warm and foot off the gas will make it happen.
Its doing it going uphill under acceleration. Same place, same hill it was 14-15 mpg before. This is the first time I have seen this 99.9 reading anywhere. The gauge where the trip meter is seems normal. Its only the gauge with the instant MPG with the funky green bar graph.

The Scan Gage I have in my 2017 Edge Titanium does the same thing.
It goes to 999.9 when my foot is OFF the gas. My right foot is connected to my fuel economy.

The factory fuel economy gage pegs at 40 mpg.

This sounds like it could to be a bugger to track down, electrical wiring/ground fault a bad gauge or a sensor (depending on what its using for calculations). Start by checking the dealer for any TSB or similar issues that have come in.

If the fuel gauge is unaffected I usually reset the system and let stuff like this go until a hard fault develops, sometimes chasing after something like this is more trouble than its worth.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This sounds like it could to be a bugger to track down, electrical wiring/ground fault a bad gauge or a sensor (depending on what its using for calculations). Start by checking the dealer for any TSB or similar issues that have come in.

If the fuel gauge is unaffected I usually reset the system and let stuff like this go until a hard fault develops, sometimes chasing after something like this is more trouble than its worth.
For now I'm going to bag it. Just keep it turned off. The trip odometer and fuel mileage gauge is fine. Its only when I click on the bar graph gauge that goes hay wire. I know zero about these electronics and this was our first truck with this. When we first purchased it my first thought was how long all these computers/electronics were going to last. So much can go wrong...and it did.

That's odd because it's the same software which gives you both readings, trip display and mpg display. Have you looked for any codes for clues? Take a look at "forscan" software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back