3 Way Switch Wiring Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
sleddriver said:
A three-way SW has four terminals:

Easy there sparky. You had the opportunity to answer earlier, but chose not to.

There are indeed 4 terminals. Even the diagrams provided by another shows that. BLK is commonly HOT, WHT is NEUTRAL, RED is used in 3-way SW and bare copper is GROUND. In a 3W, a WHT wire can be HOT, thus the black tape.

In practice , you can not depend on the other colors being a specific designation . If a white is connected to the switch , it most assuredly NOT a NEUTRIAL !

I should have included the other option, where the power comes in to the fixture, rather than either SW.

Yes , not uncommon for the hot and neutral and earth ground to enter the system at the lighting box . But it makes little difference , the hot has to go from there to one or the other of the two 3-way switches .

Yes the white may ( or may not ) be taped / marked another color . And may or may not be connected to a hot ( on residential , only ) .

But , in no case is a neutral ( legally ) connected to a switch ( unless the electronics in a dimmer or motion switch require it ) . If you see a white connected to a switch , it IS NOT a neutral , it is something else and was not taped / marked .

Last edited:
I understand your caution. I'm very careful around electricity and have encountered my share of poorly/cheaply done sparky work. Including my own house.

When working a job one time, I tested all the outlets that were to be powering audio equipment in my area and discovered about 18VAC on the neutral. The construction super threw a fit when I told him. Thought the place would 'burn down', etc. I told him I always test all outlets before beginning work. Evidently sparky didn't and this was a BIG house with an extensive remodel, about 10,000 sqr. ft.

The first question is how did the old switches operate? Independent of each other (which would be odd) or dependent. If switch A turned on the light, could switch B turn it off?

The second question is how many and color are the wires at each switch location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back