Truck oil for Honda Rancher 400 auto trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about using Chevron Delo 400 dino 15W-40 oil in this 4-wheeler. I'm concerned about the automatic transmission as I know nothing about how this oil would perform in it. Anyone else using truck oil in their Honda 4-wheeler with an automatic transmission? I can't see where it would hurt anything but any opinions would be appreciated.
cheers.gif

Don't use it, you need a oil that is also good for the trans. Most automotive oils are not and would be wise to avoid them. If there is any friction modifier in the oil, it can affect the transmission in a negative way. The oil should also meet the 80W-90 GL1 gear lube spec.

I have a 2005 Rancher 400 AT 4x4 and I using Amsoil Motorcyle 10W-40 oil since about 25 miles. Now just over 1000 miles since March, I ride it everyday. No probems whatsoever. I am using the old version as I still had some leftover. I only change the oil once per year and being doing that since the 2001 model.

I also had a 2001 Rancher 4x4 and used the same oil in that for the complete time I had it.

btw-My Honda dealer sells Amsoil...as do most other ATV dealer around here. Very poplular (2 cycle) with the snowmobilers in winter. The parts guys told they sell a lot in the winter.

Go check out amsoil dot com and read up on it..if all else fails, use the Honda Oil. Caution Honda Oil filters are pricey, around 12 each and they gave me a discount. I found a Hasting model that is around $5-6, if you want the number I go out in the shop and take a look.

[ August 09, 2005, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Is the thing uder warranty right now? If so, then okay whatever oil that you decide to use with your service manager.

Delo is a great oil and will do just fine in your application. I am using it currently in my wife's DL650 V-Strom as a break-in oil (I get it in normal amounts at a bulk price at a nearby Peterbilt dealer).

Now when you say "Automatic Transmission" I am assuming that you mean the standard issue centrifugal clutch, manually shifted transmission? Again, Delo is just great.

John.

Pretty sure the 400 Rancher is a real AT with oil pressure and pistons for the transmission. Or manual with preset transmission points for the selector positions.

I went and looked up this in the service manual.

Recommended Oil:

4-stroke oil (without molybedenum additives)
API Service SG or higher except oil labeled "Energy Conserving"

JASO T903 Standard: MA
10W-40 20° to 100° F
10W-30 20° to 90° F
5W
Note - 15W-40 and 20W-50 are not on the list of recommened viscosities, so using them may cause the trans to not function as designed.

Many car/truck engine oil contain friction modifiers and thus will be a problem with the clutches in the transmission.

Honda Oil filter 15412-KEA-003 = Hasting LF574
Honda filter - Made in Japan
Hasting filter - Made in Korea
I have both, the Hastings looks indentical in every respect to the Honda filter an costs less the $6 Amsoil has them. Honda filter lists for $11.98

I have had Honda Ranchers since 2001, very popular ATV around here, I know quite a few with Ranchers, Foreman etc. Very reliable ATV's.

[ August 11, 2005, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back