Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

2011 Ford Ranger with manual transmission with 91k miles. I just did a fluid change from M1 ATF to Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30. ATF is what is recommended. With only 12.5k miles on the ATF, shifting was notchy from day 1. It would resist going into gear and then suddenly engage. There was a shocking amount of iron particles on the magnetic drain plug. There was enough that the wear particles had a wave pattern on the magnet. After the change, shifting immediately felt nice and smooth. So far I am very happy with the change and even more so after seeing how quick wear was occurring with the M1 ATF.

Probably a good choice.

I've noticed that transmission isn't a particularly fast shifting one. It pays to make deliberate shifts.

I've been using RP Synchromax for about 50K in mine. This summer is due for a D+F.

I can pretty much guarantee you the engineers who designed that transmission feel ATF wasn't the best fluid.
If you really wanna research it, retired Chrysler transmission engineer ED Peters explains on Youtube why ATF was used in the manual Neon gear boxes.

Quote:

I can pretty much guarantee you the engineers who designed that transmission feel ATF wasn't the best fluid.

Agreed; but 'adequate' is what is required, not 'the best'; just look at the millions of AT cars with marginal factory fluids (from what i've seen here). Z1, T-IV, WS etc.

Good chance ATF is adequate.

Last edited:
Cruze M6's have problems with the bearings on the 5/6th gear shaft going out on the FF - because they were grossly under-filled with a poor fluid. Amsoil synchromesh all but eliminates the problem - I've had it in mine for the last 80K.

Smart move by OP upgrading from thinny ATF to Synchromesh 5W30 ......
Better shift is a bonus.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
And BTW, I use Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the manual transmission in my VW. It is a German made true PAO 75W90 synthetic.
I wrote about the fluid on here before. Google the reviews on Amazon, it's good stuff.
Cheaper at the dealer.
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-XT-M...&dpSrc=srch

Lol, $38 a quart!! Woo, I needed a good laugh, thanks... Sometimes I wonder about the prices on Amazon, it's either feast or famine with some stuff being double what it should be.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Smart move by OP upgrading from thinny ATF to Synchromesh 5W30 ......
Better shift is a bonus.

+1

Swapped my ford truck manual trans over to MTL/syncromesh right after rescuing it from it's former owner and couldn't be happier. I have used Penzoil Syncromesh, Valvoline syncromesh, Amsoil Syncromesh and Redline MTL and they all shifted better than ATF.

Replaced factory fill in my Civic with Amsoil MTF this weekend. Dramatic improvement in 1st and reverse - much much smoother. Other gears are smoother then they were. definitely worth switching. just my experience with it

You guys think the syncromesh/MTL lubes would be a good idea in my '08 Subaru Legacy GT? its always been rather "notchy" and just not very smooth shifting overall. I changed it last summer to some Valvoline Syn 75W90 but not much change.. Many suggest going to Amsoil 75W140? I realize Subaru didn't call for ATF initially in this trans so my situation is slightly different from you guys.

That or Redline MTL … check website for choice of flavors … (mine was pink, must be bubble gum) …

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
And BTW, I use Motorcraft XT-M5-QS in the manual transmission in my VW. It is a German made true PAO 75W90 synthetic.
I wrote about the fluid on here before. Google the reviews on Amazon, it's good stuff.
Cheaper at the dealer.

Lol, $38 a quart!! Woo, I needed a good laugh, thanks... Sometimes I wonder about the prices on Amazon, it's either feast or famine with some stuff being double what it should be.

But, but, but it includes FREE SHIPPING!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
You guys think the syncromesh/MTL lubes would be a good idea in my '08 Subaru Legacy GT? its always been rather "notchy" and just not very smooth shifting overall. I changed it last summer to some Valvoline Syn 75W90 but not much change.. Many suggest going to Amsoil 75W140? I realize Subaru didn't call for ATF initially in this trans so my situation is slightly different from you guys.

Subaru requires GL-5 protection for the front diff which is in the transmission. I don't think the Amsoil sychromesh would provide enough protection.

Cheaper at the dealer.

I used the same oil in the transaxle of my Mazdaspeed 3. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back