redline oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine is considering running Redline 5W30 in his 2013 Impala, 3.6 LFX engine with 153k miles. Doesnt leak or burn any oil, but my question is, should there be any worries of redline oil starting any leaks or anything being its polyol ester based? I know its a whole different animal than an off the shelf synthetic.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Friend of mine is considering running Redline 5W30 in his 2013 Impala, 3.6 LFX engine with 153k miles. Doesnt leak or burn any oil, but my question is, should there be any worries of redline oil starting any leaks or anything being its polyol ester based? I know its a whole different animal than an off the shelf synthetic.

I know of no modern full synthetic oil causing leaks.

Seems like money that would be better spent elsewhere.

But it's his money and if he wants to run Redline it won't cause any issues.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
153k miles with no problems,why change?

+1. I can generally see going to a syn if some attributes would be realized. But redline isn't an oil that you get cheaply anywhere. Not sure what the car is worth, and that isn't a determinant in the big scheme of things anyway. This person may love their car. I'm just not seeing a plausible benefit but to spend extra money.

I recently bought an $800 Honda Civic that has 213k miles on it. I'm pretty sure it's run dino its whole life. I just changed the oil and put Redline in it. Why? Because I wanted to. Because $58 a year isn't that much money. Car runs smooth and great. If your friend wants to do it, I say go for it.

It's also a pretty good cleaner in that it's usually a pretty good chemistry change from previous oil. So it'll start loosening stuff. Run an oversized filter ...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Thanks one eye jack, evidently by the link you provided, Redline can go the distance. Thats another reason my friend wants to use Redline, his work drive is 1600 miles round trip every two weeks with miles racked up while hes at the job site, so alot of the time the OLM will hit 0% on the drive home, some added insurance knowing he can drive back with the OLM flashing 0% for a thousand miles with no harm done with Redline in the sump.

No problems in running Red Line but probably no real benefit in this application either.
Old-school GM pushrod engine and not all that demanding of its oil after all.
M1 EP HM in the 5W-30 grade would be a solid choice for this kind of use in this application.
Now, if he wants to track the Impala, then Red Line would be a good choice.
LOL!

Well, I guess I was wrong by a decade or so.
LOL!
Red Line is still overkill for this engine and I'd still personally use M1 EP HM 5W-30.

I recently put Redline in my Montero. For the first time in 24 years. Yes, it's a boutique oil. I no longer hear my lifters and the engine is very quiet. Purely anecdotal. But, I know the sound of my Montero having it so long. David Granquist is always a pleasure to deal with at Redline.

It's not economically viable to use Redline long term, but I will use it when I know I'm going to play really hard. ON a side note: Costco has Chevron 10W30 & 10W40 in Albuquerque. 10W40 is not exactly common. Not that I really need oil. I'm good for another decade or so....lol

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back