metal fuel cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a JustRite that uses a removalbe funnel insstead of the seperate flex hose. They are fantastic quality, I just hate dealing with the extra spring loaded release, it makes handling a 5 gal can more of a pain. I'd like to go back to the old plastic fivers with the dual handles. I guess we can thank good old uncle sam

I use the Eagle 2 gallon cans, they are nearly as expensive as the 5 gallon cans, but they sure can be moved where you want them. Lugging a 5 gal. can is silly, I would recomend finding a 2 gal Eagle can, light enough to use and strong as [censored] to a sinner.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Who uses metal cans?

I'm looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-Galvaniz...=metal+fuel+can

Eagle makes one, but with one opening, i don't want the glug glug of not having a vent.

I have this can except in 2 (maybe 2 1/2) gallon. Works great and I prefer it over the one with the funnel.

If your keep gas in an attached garage it really needs to be in a metal gas can. BTW - the safety part of it means more than metal. There is also a screen on the fill which will prevent flames.

The world is full of idiots.... and lawyers protect them.... and we all have to pay for their mistakes.

"In the one case Blitz lost, in 2010, a Utah jury awarded more than $4 million to the father of a 2-year-old girl killed when a Blitz can exploded after the father, David Calder, tried to start a fire in a wood-burning stove in his trailer home by pouring gasoline on the flame."

I have a few different types of metal cans. Eagle Type I, Justrite type II, and NATO jerry cans. I have used them all extensively over the past decade or so. If you primary goal is to fill small engines, you are looking at the right ones. Justrite Type II cans are phenomenal, a tad heavy but nonetheless excellent. The Justrite AccuFlow trigger is extremely nice and makes filling small tanks an easy task. Type I cans are great compared to plastic cans but I much prefer the type IIs overall.

I just purchased two of these from Zoro last week. One as a birthday gift and the other to keep for myself. Used a coupon code for 25% off. Total cost was $103 shipped. I called to place the order on the phone. Customer service was great and the person on the phone found me a better deal using a coupon code she had verses the one I found online.

I'm the total opposite. After getting one Scepter MFC can, I ended up with another 13 in my stash. 12 5L and 2 small 2.5L.
Metal cans are heavy, they ding, etc. Put them on my curb. No one even bother to take them. Ended up in the recycling trash pickup

I like these … not all the fool proofing that drives me crazy but I slap on the flammable diamond decal and folks leave me alone … they ride well with just one bungee cord:

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Who uses metal cans?

I'm looking at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Justrite-Galvaniz...=metal+fuel+can

Eagle makes one, but with one opening, i don't want the glug glug of not having a vent.

I have this can except in 2 (maybe 2 1/2) gallon. Works great and I prefer it over the one with the funnel.

If your keep gas in an attached garage it really needs to be in a metal gas can. BTW - the safety part of it means more than metal. There is also a screen on the fill which will prevent flames.

The 'screen' you mention is a Flame Arrestor, it prevents a flame from entering the Gas Can.
If you were filling a lawn-mower and accidently got gas on the hot muffler and started a fire.
It gives you a few seconds to react.

Also, the Justrite are self venting.
This means on a hot Summer day, as the Gas Can is building pressure (just sitting there), the 'cap' will raise just enough to release the pressure.

For the wiki, and it really depends on how you plan to use the gas can (storage, etc) - even the Scepters would rather swell than ~breath~. For my purpose, it's primary meant for storage, but no spilling issues at all as well and a 5L drains pretty damm quick - I use the biggest tygon tube/nozzle that would fit on any car. Forget the size but can look it up

Midwest 5 gallon metal at tractor supply for $40
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/midwest-can-5-gallon-metal-gas-can

also at harbor freight
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/fuel-management/5-gallon-jerry-can-99553.html

I did neither of these and went with the plastic racing jug from Rural King for $20 and the Sceptre 5 gallon plastic Jerry can for $25
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/scepter-53-gallon-military-style-gas-can-epa?cm_vc=-10005

Sceptre also sells the nozzle without the safety stuff in the same store.

I have put the sceptre thru the torture test and its my favorite can.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
I'm the total opposite. After getting one Scepter MFC can, I ended up with another 13 in my stash. 12 5L and 2 small 2.5L.
Metal cans are heavy, they ding, etc. Put them on my curb. No one even bother to take them. Ended up in the recycling trash pickup
Where were you finding those cans? I could use a few.

My experience with metal cans is their always rusty inside, hard to pour, heavy (especially the larger ones) and they oil-can. I've switched to the "No-Spill" brand (not cheap), but they keep gas fresh (sealed), easy to pour and no rust. They might pour a little slower, but actually faster since your less concerned with spilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back