HF gen set dropped exh valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor gave me a non-running HF 4000W gen set (212 cc Chinese motor).
After cleaning the carb without success, I put on a new 11 dollar (!) carb and it ran fine. Pulled two 1500 watt heaters as a test load with no problem.

For about 15 minutes .... and then it dropped an exh valve.
Surprisingly the cylinder bore is undamaged, and shows basically no wear from use, and the piston is fine also. The cylinder head took all the damage from the valve crash.

Help me choose one of 3 options:

1) Buy a new 99 dollar HF engine and swap the side housing and crankshaft from my existing engine (the 99 dollar engines have a straight output shaft on the crank, the gen set ones have a tapered shaft).

2) Buy a new head and valves (45 bucks or so?), install on my engine.

3) Give it away to somebody else.

Sounds like you have the skill to refurb this thing.

I'd buy a new head, if you feel comfortable with the swap. As you said, the piston/bore look fine. If it wasn't drinking oil in the short time you used it, I'd be comfortable with just a head.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Set it out with the trash and don't worry about it. Put a note on it describing the problem.

I never took you for a quitter!
07.gif
13.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Maybe find one that has other problems. Like one that runs but wont make power

That sounds worse.

If the genny on this thing works (seems like it took 3kW easily, from the OP), and the engine looks to be in good shape, then replacing the head seems like a logical choice.

What are you going to do with the generator? Will you use it as an emergency generator or do you already have one of those? Don't spend money on it if it's just going to collect dust after you repair it.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
What are you going to do with the generator? Will you use it as an emergency generator or do you already have one of those? Don't spend money on it if it's just going to collect dust after you repair it.

Good point!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'd go Briggs and not look back.

Well I have 3 go karts (for 5 grandchildren LOL) all with HF 212 motors. So I've kind of standardized on 99 dollar power...although I'd guess the reliability in the karts is mostly due to an easy duty cycle. I really wish the gen set used the "normal" version crankshaft, then they'd all be interchangeable.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'd go Briggs and not look back.

Well I have 3 go karts (for 5 grandchildren LOL) all with HF 212 motors. So I've kind of standardized on 99 dollar power...although I'd guess the reliability in the karts is mostly due to an easy duty cycle. I really wish the gen set used the "normal" version crankshaft, then they'd all be interchangeable.

Most generators have a tapered shaft. Its a PIA to get apart.

I'd say option number 2. Assuming the parts are obtainable, $45 (or so) isn't bad for an otherwise free genny, even a Chinese one.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Maybe find one that has other problems. Like one that runs but wont make power

Yes - - - buy it cheap and rob the parts you need.

Sell the rest on craigslist

Just change the head.

The engines are on craigslist all the time CHEAP!!! I see them for sale (RUNNING!!) for $35-40

Originally Posted By: nascarnation

Help me choose one of 3 options:

4) Buy a new 99 dollar HF engine and swap the head

then sell the rest of the engine (minus the head) on ebay or craigslist

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Why not spend the $99 for the new motor, swap it out, and keep the old one for parts?.,,

You cant buy a generator engine for $99, that's why. Well maybe you could, but finding one with the right shaft could be difficult.

I would not dump a ton of money into it. You can find generators all day long that need a carb clean for $50, or less.

When the valve dropped, it made contact the piston. You say the piston looks fine, however, if the piston hit the valve with enough force, I'm wondering what that may have done to the connecting rod, bearings and crankshaft?

Doesn't take much to throw the crank out of balance.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
When the valve dropped, it made contact the piston. You say the piston looks fine, however, if the piston hit the valve with enough force, I'm wondering what that may have done to the connecting rod, bearings and crankshaft?

Doesn't take much to throw the crank out of balance.

Good point, after further review, this baby is heading for the Boulevard of Broken OPE, one of my go kart suppliers collects junk.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back