How long can a person physically stay awake...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long can a person physically stay awake on drugs? I've read of meth heads going seven days without sleep.

Define "sleep".

I've got some weird issue where my brain goes straight into REM sleep so I haven't gotten any RESTFUL sleep in.. years. Every night is just a bunch of vibrant and bizarre dreams.

I was thinking as I read the title to this thread... With meth or without meth
lol.gif

I believe the Navy SEALs get put through next to no sleep for a week towards the end. Believe Marines and others include minimal sleep (not "no sleep") based upon human performance studies, as part of training.

Drugs change the brain and body chemistry, so all bets are off. Not sure what the mechanism of the body shutting down at some point would be, and I'd hate to find out.

You are correct JHZR2. It's H E double hockey sticks week. Those people are the real deal. Best of the best.

I think it depends on the person. I spent time in the Army and the Navy and I have been awake on a Submarine for at least 4 days straight before, but I was young and in good shape. Didn't change the fact that I was super tired. It certainly affects your ability to do everything and everything becomes funny.

I guess I'm a wuss, 24 hours is probably the longest I've been awake and that was too much.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I was thinking as I read the title to this thread... With meth or without meth
lol.gif

With crack or without? LOL!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Define "sleep".

I've got some weird issue where my brain goes straight into REM sleep so I haven't gotten any RESTFUL sleep in.. years. Every night is just a bunch of vibrant and bizarre dreams.

Curious if you've tried Melatonin and / or Belsomra

I've heard the U.S. military gave pills to service members in Iraq at times so they could stay awake for 40 hours.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I think it depends on the person. I spent time in the Army and the Navy and I have been awake on a Submarine for at least 4 days straight before, but I was young and in good shape. Didn't change the fact that I was super tired. It certainly affects your ability to do everything and everything becomes funny.

Yeah, you definitely get "punchy" and there is some spatial and auditory disorientation IME.

I don't think I could do the multiple days without sleep functionally now. Like you I was younger, more fit, and hardcore at the time on getting the job (s) done. My calculations wrre all still correct even with all the physical & mental fatigue.

in my younger days, i could often go 36 hrs straight, then crash for like 15.

though i will admit i was progressively more useless starting around hr 25.

http://www.24hoursofadrenalin.com/canmore/#

Used to race this every year before kids. Noon Saturday to noon Sunday racing and camping (partying really) the night before the race. By the time you were done you’d been up the better part of 60 hours with thousands of feet climbing and descending and 140-160kms of trails covered. Coffee and beer. KFC seemed to provide the salt and calories pretty well one year.

Last edited:
There was a story recently on record holder for staying awake. He was awake for many days in a row and still holds the record for it. The story reported that his sleep patterns and overall mental and physical health suffered permanent negative consequences from the stunt.

72 hours straight on the weekend duty at a Coast Guard Motor Lifeboat station with just coffee. Did it a few times as weekend duty in the summer was call after call.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Define "sleep".

Curious if you've tried Melatonin and / or Belsomra

Tried it all. Sleep doctors can't explain it without trying to sell me a new CPAP machine.

CPAP also doesn't work.

It's like the brain can't unplug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back