Reman PS racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rustbird is leaking PS fluid from the power steering rack internal lines. I already pulled the rack and all the tubing, for $50 I'm replacing all the tubing, it isn't far behind to leak. The pressure line almost crumbled at the pump. Advance has good discounts and I have speed perks.

I can get a cardone reman rack for $65 OR I can flare some 1/4 Nicopp to repair the lines. The tubing nuts are kinda exotic, 14 X1.5, but the old tube can be drilled out.

There is nothing wrong with the rack really, and they even sell service lines for some racks.

Not even the money, but I read the Reman racks are like 50% failure rate. Motorcraft rack is around $300 with all the core shipping, not really worth it for the rustbucket.

NAPA and Autozone sell BBB racks, which are now from former Visteon Reman factory - they claim to be an OE rebuilder, but who really knows.

I've had no problems with multiple Cardone parts. Its cheap enough to try. Do they have a core charge? Or just keep the old one in case your hunch is correct and you need to repair the old one down the road.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
It'd be hard for me to junk a functioning factory part for a cardone part..

This

I used a cardone reman rack once, it started leaking out of both ends in a matter of months. I then went to replace it and found that both rubber boots had already cracked and broken in half. I was very underwhelmed..

I wouldn't want to buy a rebuilt PS rack unless it was OEM or from an OE supplier.

If you ever see a rebuilt part that has a careless application of black paint on it, don't use it. Those parts are good for about one year. Advance Auto sells those kinds of P/S racks, so look elsewhere.

now seriously.. isn't it a bit ironic that their name is CARDONE, as in.. YOUR CAR IS DONE! lol.. yup no irony there..

I'd say if you could (As everyone else has said) just try and fix the lines, no need to throw out a good functioning rack just because the lines needed to be replaced.

Yeah, thanks guys, if it wasn't a rustbucket I would spring for the Motorcraft Reman, it actually isn't that bad of a price. Since it isn't leaking from any seals (Truly amazing at this mileage, and tight as well) I'll try to install the new lines. I saw videos where people scraped off black paint from cardone and found grease. My rack would probably get two new lines and go right in a box with a coat of black paint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I've had no problems with multiple Cardone parts. Its cheap enough to try. Do they have a core charge? Or just keep the old one in case your hunch is correct and you need to repair the old one down the road.

If your a DIY'er....Go for it! Cardone can RUIN your reputation as a Technician....Probably the reason it is not recommended to use their rattle can rebuilds.

Cardone rack for my volvo 940 leaked (slightly) from new from the flare fitting of all places. The "black" on it was like shoe polish.

Still, it was $75, and didn't leak out the sides like my old one, so, win there.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Cardone rack for my volvo 940 leaked (slightly) from new from the flare fitting of all places. The "black" on it was like shoe polish.

Still, it was $75, and didn't leak out the sides like my old one, so, win there.

How hard was it to install?

That's the other point and who pays the labor? Once it goes part the time you can get a refund and buy something better you are married to it and paying to replace it every time its replaced under warranty until you get sick of it and use it as a core for a better one.
Cardone, BBB, Atsco and most of the other common ones found in chain stores are all junk and in the long run can be very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back