Recommend a walk behind edger, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to purchase a good walk behind edger to use in my neighborhood. I’ll probably do several of my neighbors too or let them borrow it. What is everyone’s recommendations?

so you want the full walk behind not the trimmer style?

echo has dealer days coming up in your area(possibly) 20% off

https://www.echo-usa.com/Promotions/One-Day-Sale

I think echo are all the trimmer style.
PE-225_callouts.jpg

vs the walk behind style such as

cub-cadet-gas-edgers-le100-64_1000.jpg

These actually work pretty good if you keep up with maintaining the edging. Ace Hardware, Lowes and Home Depot have them.
Making your neighborhood look manicured is great, but expect sour feelings throwing a tool at someone and telling them, hey, you need to edge your walks and driveway and you hand them a gas powered or manual edger.

I have a McLane walk behind edger with B&S 4 cycle engine. Mine is 13 years old, works fine for me and needs very little maintenance. You can buy them online, shipped from Texas, and they're very easy to assemble. They're not cheap--about $499. Ariens makes a similar one for about $50 less.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I have a McLane walk behind edger with B&S 4 cycle engine. Mine is 13 years old, works fine for me and needs very little maintenance. You can buy them online, shipped from Texas, and they're very easy to assemble. They're not cheap--about $499. Ariens makes a similar one for about $50 less.

I’m sort of biased against Ariens. We have a commercial grade at work and have had nothing but problems with it. Perhaps it’s just one that slipped through the QC department on a rough day, but it’s been a wreck.

McLane is supposed to be offered at my local dealer, so maybe I should take a look. Their website shows a very limited selection, which may be a good thing.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
These actually work pretty good if you keep up with maintaining the edging. Ace Hardware, Lowes and Home Depot have them.
Making your neighborhood look manicured is great, but expect sour feelings throwing a tool at someone and telling them, hey, you need to edge your walks and driveway and you hand them a gas powered or manual edger.

My back would probably be [censored] at me if I used one of those. My neighbors come borrow stuff from me all the time. I’d never tell them how to take care of their lawn.

I have a Stihl stick edger. Works great. Use it a few times a year, run it on stihl stabilized mix, since it doesn't get regular use. Starts and runs great. Works fine even though I have some pretty bad Maple roots that it encounters.

The other style may have a bit more assured stability and ease of running straight, just because it has more wheels to track. I borrowed that kind, which my grandfather had for a long time, but I'm happier with the size and weight of the stick edger.

I run a Stihl 4 mix FS90 strait shaft weed eater. Bought the edger attachment and it works great. Also have a brush blade for it, very versatile tool.

Another McLane vote. Got one (after being burned by a previous B&S with fuel diaphragm that kept self-distructing) with a newer style B&S carb. It's very reliable, though it was the last model year I expected CA to allow side-head-valve engines.

From another place on the 'net (circa 2008):
I grew up in Los Angeles, and KOL was from South Gate, Tru-Cut (Starlite) was El Monte, Trimmer in Gardena, McLane in Paramount, and Power Trim in Compton. KOL was always the cheapest and frankly that showed in their construction. Weakest links were die cast aluminum in the cutter head and in the bracket which held the sliding arm. When either of these broke, you took the engine off and junked the rest. Everyone else used cast iron or steel construction. They also self threading fasteners were everyone else used nut & bolt construction. When a fastener stripped, you either tried to replace with nut and bolt, or tapped oversize if possible.

Generally I would consider KOL comparable to cheaper edgers like the Trim-Rite, MTD, and Sears offerings. It'll get the job done, but respect it's limitations.

For home use, McLane is usually the best value proposition. The 101 and 801 models are recommended. Snapper, Tru-Cut, Deere and others have made competent machines. McLane also private labelled for dozens of people over the years (Deere comes to mind). Prices should start in the low $300's and go up.

At the top of the market, Power Trim and Little Wonder stand out. However, you're now starting at $500 or so and can run up to $800 for one with a commercial GX Honda engine. Great machines, but overkill if you're a homeowner.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

I paid about $250 for my McLane in 2005. Not sure if they have more or fewer models now. The brand seems to be a consensus choice for a homeowner walk behind edger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back