Filthy Winchester .44Spl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I shoot a lot of .38 Spl in a variety of S&W revolvers. Then I shoot .44 Spl in a Ruger GP100. Its fun to shoot, if a bit more expensive.

Recently I got some Winchester Super X target .44 Spl ammo. This stuff is smoky and filthy. Worse than any cheap ammo that ranges sometimes force you to buy.

Any idea how to get details on what's in it so that I can avoid it? For example, if this is what Winchester 231 is like, its NOT what I desire to reload with...

MagTech and Fiocci are nowhere near this filthy or smoky, granted they're not LFN bullets.

How much ash or unburnt propellant was let in the cylinder or barrel?

I don't know what Winchester uses, but there are cleaner and better (more complete combustion) burning propellants out there for reloading.

Often times, the big ammo companies don't use canister powders. They buy lots of powder that are well characterized but don't act like cannister powders, and then test/adjust to get the results they want with that powder lot.

Win 231/HP38 is a fairly clean burning powder. That looks more like the kind of mess you get from Unique-aka Flaming Dirt.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, these were NOT reloads. This was factory ammo, and if this is what Winchester Super X results in, no thanks...

I dont recall using this specific Winchester ammo before in any caliber (shotgun shells aside).

But I do intend to reload .44 spl; so Ill likely use polymer coated bullets and something that burns MUCH cleaner. This is a mess the likes of which Ive not seen on any revolver I own, with any other ammo...

Nice revolver, awful ammo however! That amount of buildup is a joke. I used to shoot quite a bit of .38 special magtech and UMC, not at all like what you have pictured. I personally would get a bit paranoid about that much residue, would probably force me to start shooting with gloves.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Nice revolver, awful ammo however! That amount of buildup is a joke. I used to shoot quite a bit of .38 special magtech and UMC, not at all like what you have pictured. I personally would get a bit paranoid about that much residue, would probably force me to start shooting with gloves.

Yeah it is. No mess on the hands. Not a ton on the top strap either. Burn rings clean easily with ballistol.

So I think it's just that this "target" ammo is filthy. Just want to be sure I'm not using that powder when I reload.

I know that lead bullets get a wax coating, and that wax can burn/smoke a bit. I don't really shoot waxed lead bullets, other than .22. I can't imagine this mess is due to wax though...

It's not the powder. If these were non jacketed lead bullets, then most of the filth you experienced was due to bullet lubricant burning off, not "dirty" gun powder. Cast or swaged lead bullets are FILTHY. No matter who loads them, or if you do yourself. Or what type of powder you load them with. There are a number of indoor ranges that prohibit their use because it's almost like shooting black powder.

If you purchase and shoot ANY jacket .44 Special loads, you will see how much cleaner they shoot. Back when I was younger, and shooting on a limited budget, I cast and shot my own bullets. But no longer. You don't save that much, and as you discovered.... They're FILTHY.

The Winchester 45LC dirty too. Can your wheelgun shoot .44MAG? If so, shoot the Mags last to blow all the crud out. I like the Flitz brand borecleaner. Works well to clean er up.

Originally Posted By: billt460
It's not the powder. If these were non jacketed lead bullets, then most of the filth you experienced was due to bullet lubricant burning off, not "dirty" gun powder. Cast or swaged lead bullets are FILTHY. No matter who loads them, or if you do yourself. Or what type of powder you load them with. There are a number of indoor ranges that prohibit their use because it's almost like shooting black powder.

If you purchase and shoot ANY jacket .44 Special loads, you will see how much cleaner they shoot. Back when I was younger, and shooting on a limited budget, I cast and shot my own bullets. But no longer. You don't save that much, and as you discovered.... They're FILTHY.

The Magtech I shoot are FMJ. The Fiocchi are SJHP which Im sure helps too.

Like I mentioned, the only waxed lead bullets I shoot are .22 which don't make such a mess.

When I reload, I'll use poly coated. Ive shot enough .45 and 9mm Federal Syntech to be convinced on the coated bullet.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
The Winchester 45LC dirty too. Can your wheelgun shoot .44MAG? If so, shoot the Mags last to blow all the crud out. I like the Flitz brand borecleaner. Works well to clean er up.

No. GP100 is .44 special only.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Often times, the big ammo companies don't use canister powders. They buy lots of powder that are well characterized but don't act like cannister powders, and then test/adjust to get the results they want with that powder lot.

That's very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back