Viscosity around the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've seen posts on this before, but for giggles researched what my Corolla has for oil around the world. In the US 0w20 recommended. I think the manual says 5w30 in an emergency but should be changed back to 0w20. In Europe 0w30, 0w40, and 5w40 seem to be the options according to a couple different brand oil sites.

This makes me wonder...all the people on here asking, "can I run xw.xx in my car?" the answer has to literally be "any viscosity from 0w20 to 10w40 is fine." Aside from warranty issues, where I'd use what the manual says to be safe.

Thoughts, opinions, memes, facts, lies? Discuss.

We need a spreadsheet with Owners Manual call-outs for same cars around the world
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
...all the people on here asking, "can I run xw-xx in my car?"
The answer has to literally be "any viscosity from 0w20 to 10w40 is fine."

Pretty much the truth.

Lots of mention from people that went from a 5W-20 to a 10W-30 and saw no change at all in fuel mileage.

I am really glad that 0W-20 exists for those folks up North in Jan/Fab, though....

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
USA=CAFE. I think that pretty much sums it up.

+1. My mazda states in Canada and Mexico to use 5w30, it that's not available then use 5w20. In the USA i must use 0w20 for the warranty.
Supposedly the skyactiv engines were designed for 0w20 , but that does not jive with the owners manual.

It's all CAFE.

My 2007 Accord specs 5w-20 here in Canada, but 5W-30 the U.K. Maybe because of colder Canadian winter temps?
confused.gif
At any rate, I'll stick with 5w-20 per my manual, easy enough just to follow Honda's recommendation.

I understand in the USA the viscosity vs CAFE issue, but if the manufacturers run tests on engines to see what oil weight gives the best fuel economy, wear protection, ease of starting why not pin it down to
Quote:
one
weight and say "5w-30" world wide to cover both hot climates and cold climates per engine?

I wonder if CAFE dictates that a particular grade (say 0W-20) must be used even for warranty for it to count towards average fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Another thick vs thin thread.

Yep and it will end the same way as the hundreds before it.

The truth is - most owner manuals say that in "high heat or towing higher viscosity oils may be used to prevent engine damage". So use what you want, and good luck finding cases of "rejected warranty due to oil viscosity"

Originally Posted By: Olas
Europe uses 30 and 40 in 90ish % of ICEs. ...
Do engines last longer in Europe as a result?

Originally Posted By: PimTac

What I find hilarious is guys thumping their chest saying they use 5w30 because they think it's thick oil. Sorry boys, it ain't!

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Olas
Europe uses 30 and 40 in 90ish % of ICEs. ...
Do engines last longer in Europe as a result?

No, they do not. Think you in America putting more miles on your cars than we do here in EU

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: tig1
Another thick vs thin thread.

People being disrespectful and admins locking it? That should be a goal of every poster...lol

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
We could get there if we can work in some politics ...
laugh.gif

Stormy on 60 minutes tonight says Trump told her that CAFE is [censored]...

Did I do that right?

Originally Posted By: chainblu

What I find hilarious is guys thumping their chest saying they use 5w30 because they think it's thick oil. Sorry boys, it ain't!

You got it exactly backwards. People "thump their chest" because they THINK they are more intelligent to use 5-20, 0-20, or 0-16, while their same vehicles call for 5-30, 10-30 and up around the globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back