Oil Overfill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer overfilled my oil, TTL amount as per manual 5.7 litres, dealer put in 6 litres so it's over by 300 ml, do you see any problems with this?

Thanks to all who will reply

Are you saying it is overfilled by looking at the invoice and seeing 6 liters or by looking at the dipstick? Either way though I would not be concerned, a minor amount. If invoice they charged you for 6 but may have only put in 5.7.

You can quickly check the oil after driving and if you see bubbles, air is causing foaming which is bad. Highly doubt that is happening with 10 ounces though. Don't worry about otherwise.

Well I'm a service oriented kind of guy I'd take it back to the Stealership and I'd let them fix it and I'd check it again before I drove off!

There will be no problems
smile.gif

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a chart with various engines' "allowable overfills" being circulated about.

Even when "sloping driveways" were mentioned as design considerations no actual angles were ever given by the engine designers.

I guess you're OK with your slight overfill too.

Last oil change I measured my new oil volume EXACTLY and it's 1/8" over the FULL mark.

I drained 11.5 qts of oil from a neighbor's 2002 Audi 3.0l V6 (calls for 6l). THAT was overfilled....you should've seen the smoke!

In reality, they cannot charge you 0.7L so they round it up to the nearest whole amount.
I don't think they really overfill it.

Did you check the dipstick when you get home or whatever your next destination is?
By the way, there is also some error in the dipstick.

Last edited:
I never understand these threads on oil overfills. If it is overfilled and you are in the least bit concerned (and you must be since you started this thread), take it back to the dealer. A quick alternative, would be to pump out the overfilled amount with a dip stick pump. Cheap and easy to use. If that is not an option put the car up on ramps and drain enough out to get the level in the crosshatched area. If you take too much you can always add a little to adjust. All the dipsticks I have ever seen on any car or truck says "DO NOT OVERFILL." They don't say "Do Not Overfill Except for the Allowable Overfill." They do not say, "Don't Worry About Overfilling Just a Little Bit." They do not say, "Close the Hood and Forget It." I sleep well when the oil in my engines is within the safe zone on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Are you saying it is overfilled by looking at the invoice and seeing 6 liters or by looking at the dipstick? Either way though I would not be concerned, a minor amount. If invoice they charged you for 6 but may have only put in 5.7.

Thanks Spector, good point! On the invoice it says 6 litres, on the dipstick I can't tell, even though I looked in the morning after the car rested overnight I could not tell. Glad you confirm my feeling about not being concerned.

The Matrix has an updated dipstick that allows an extra half qt of oil in the engine compared to the old one. It even says so on the Amsoil site when you input the car's information. I was wondering why they were over filling it when I would supply the oil. They would return the jug with a half qt of oil and I was thinking there should a full qt remaining in the container. I thought they were being sloppy. Because if I bought four 5 qt jugs I'd be getting and extra oil change. Originally it had a four qt fill.

Or you can be lucky like me. I overfilled by about 0.25 quarts yesterday but I know the way the engine burns I'll be adding a half quart by April 15th...

I wouldn't worry if it's a tiny bit above the full line. Tiny bit being the subjective measure.

I'd check dipstick if its not over the full mark by more than .25" I wouldnt even start to worry about it.

Some cars (e.g., my Cad 3.6) don't like .5 qt overfill; the oil occasionally enters the crankcase ventilation system and into the air intake. As long as that isn't happening on yours it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back