7 & 8 speed transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman, difference of opinion there might be I was driving the b-body variant that made a little more torque a fair bit sooner. I think it was actually the f-body/Vette cam that was compromised to limit lowend and keep keep the f-body axle alive. In bolton form the f-body and b-body made the same numbers despite the "smaller" cam in the b-body, less lift, less duration and tighter lobe separation, the later being what brought the torque in sooner. If memory serves it was rated +/-5tq depending on year but did so 1000rpm sooner and with less compression on 87 octane fuel, it had 300-800lbs more car with [censored] gearing to push around so torque was more important.

I know what the published numbers are on motors but in driving feel don't buy it atall, I suspect the pcm may not actually let those numbers be reached real world torque management and all but EVERYONE I know familiar with the older smallblocks and LS1 agrees the gen 3 does not respond like the gen 1/2. Drive a TPI or gen 2 LT1 then and LS1 and you will understand.

All that said I am not an eco-freak but am a believer in electric, if you get a chance to drive one do it. As time goes on the cost savings of no complicated engine/tranny or their R&D and emissions certification can be rolled into battery purchase which is currently about the only expensive part of an electric car. I think companies should have spent less on transmissions so complex bitter rivals have to join forces, and worked on electric. Sort out the battery instead of just how many gears can you fit in a transmission. Just a few years later and they are all committing to rolling out electrics in volume in the next 5 year anyway.

All the updates are not really improving mileage that much either VVT/DOD, few extra gears are all small incremental improvements not big ones.
Yes there are other hassles with large scale electric car adaptation but all solvable and the often cited "grid" is actually not that big a deal as you just tell the car to charge at night when demand is low, granted we can't put everyone in electric tomorrow but charging at night means there is a LOT of grid capacity available today. My wife's 2014 Impala gets worse mileage than her 2003 and yes it is a bigger nicer car but it is also a LOT more complicated engine (3.6l DGI vs. the old 3.4l) with half again as many gears in the tranny.

Lambasting modern engines with a remark about narrow powerbands is hard to accept. With all the tweaks currently used like variable cam timing, knock sensors, etc., powerbands start earlier than ever. Turbo fours are making significant torque at just off idle.

No offense intended, but powerbands are wider than ever!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: DJ
Patman, despite popular myth the LS motors are a bit late on torque band, the 6speeds really compliment them well where the older smallblocks that made torque sooner were happy with 4. I was very happy with the 4L60E behind my LT1s(gen 2 1990s motors).

The '01 thru '04 LS1s produced 300 ft lbs at just 1000 RPMs, which is neither late nor mythical...

Did you ever buy that Corvette you were looking at a few months ago ?

No. I have to wait until I retire in 2 years...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Patman
I remember just a few years ago when I had my 98 Corvette with the 4 speed auto, there were many times where I would go full throttle while moving and it just didn't have enough gears to put it in the sweet spot of the powerband when it downshifted.

That's what the M6 was for...

Which is another reason for going for the M6 on my old 2005 Corvette instead of the A4.

All that said I am not an eco-freak but am a believer in electric, if you get a chance to drive one do it. As time goes on the cost savings of no complicated engine/tranny or their R&D and emissions certification can be rolled into battery purchase which is currently about the only expensive part of an electric car. I think companies should have spent less on transmissions so complex bitter rivals have to join forces, and worked on electric. Sort out the battery instead of just how many gears can you fit in a transmission. Just a few years later and they are all committing to rolling out electrics in volume in the next 5 year anyway.

I actually love electric vehicles, even though I've never driven one. But good friends of ours have a 2014 Volt and I've ridden in it many times and that thing really pulls hard off the line! I can't even imagine how quick a Tesla 100D must feel!

Originally Posted By: Patman

I actually love electric vehicles, even though I've never driven one. But good friends of ours have a 2014 Volt and I've ridden in it many times and that thing really pulls hard off the line! I can't even imagine how quick a Tesla 100D must feel!

Oh it feels fantastic. I had a pleasure to ride in a p100d and it's crazy, and it wasn't even the ludicrous mode because the battery was discharged too much.
I also drove an 85 model and it pulls great as well and that effortless and quiet rides is also something else.
I'm not buying the whole electric car concept to save the environment, but as a car enthusiast they do offer a terrific driving experience.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Lambasting modern engines with a remark about narrow powerbands is hard to accept. With all the tweaks currently used like variable cam timing, knock sensors, etc., powerbands start earlier than ever. Turbo fours are making significant torque at just off idle.

No offense intended, but powerbands are wider than ever!

Exactly; the N55 in my 2 Series makes 330 lb-ft of torque from 1300-4500 rpm.

So I am struggling with some back issues right now will be find but sore and recovering for the last week so I will apologize this got LONG as I began researching after I began typing. I love researching things and rambled a bit.

Turbos make power once spooled up.

My Tesla is a P85 not a D car when I was looking at them initially I went to a Tesla store and told them I wanted to see the available rear facing kids seats in the hatchback area. Even though I told them I was going to buy used they put me in a P100D to walk me thru the car I drove it a short distance but did not step on it because I know I was going to buy a P85 and didn't want to disappoint myself by making me want a car I couldn't afford.
The 100D some of them can be factory upgraded for a 0-60 of 3.5 seconds even without the P option.

Far as powerbands. I haven't driven anything turbo ever and these days drive by wire is being used to hide a LOT. It is used to soften the throttle on V8s and exaggerate the throttle response of smaller motors. Several rentals I have had seem snappy 0-30% and if you go above that totally dead, pretty sure a scantool would show throttle opening more than pedal input.
Published numbers are often deceptive since the pcm may not actually let the engine reach the right circumstances, as an extreme example my 2005 Sierra takes 3 seconds to open the throttle if you punch it, you can publish a TQ number at 3000rpm but in practice you wont ever get it to open the throttle all the way at 3000rpm unless you have a BIG trailer behind it. I also question if the modern engines would feel so good with an old 4 speed transmission or if the close ratio, many gears are just making them feel good

I am sure many of you have experience with a wider range of vehicles than I. I over generalized but the few smaller engine rentals I have driven seem to be opening the throttle more than the foot says to, to mask weak lowend, even with half a dozen gears where there used to be 4.

The actual ratios should be discussed too FWIW here are a few transmissions I know the first gear ratios of.
TH400 or 4L80E 2.48
700R4/4L60E/4L70E 3.06
6L80E 4.02

End result my 1996 Caprice that came with 4L60E had 2.93 gears stock but I swapped to 4.10s since it was street/strip which sounds extreme with a final drive ratio of 12.546.
My 2015 Chevy SS Sports Sedan had the 6L80E and 3.29 gears for a final drive of 13.226 tire size similar.
So bone stock the 6L80 super deep first gear causes it to have a deeper final drive in 1st than an older 4speed with aftermarket lower gears, stock the Caprice was 8.966 Some of the Caprice wagons even came with 2.56 rearend gears.

I looked up Impalas topo since my wife has had a 2004 3.4l and a 2014 new style with 3.6l the old one had a 2.92 first gear the newer one a 4.48.

So there is at least the start of a trend where the may geared transmissions have a LOT deeper first gears which will make feel deceptive.

The ZF8HP appears to have first gear ratios of 4.7-5.0

So now that I have dug into this I believe we are being fooled into thinking engines are responsive by giving them a ton of gear reduction, Yes VVT broadens the powerband, but they only need it because they would be very peaky without, and turbos if you get them to spool can make gobs of power down low but you probably accelerate past the low rpms slowly while they spool so you only ever see the great lowend if you spool up against the brakes.

Agreed on many points, but once again you missed a key point in your last sentence.

Almost any modern car these days will immediately pull timing and then pull that DBW throttle if you try to power brake it. I have documented this many times at the strip on my sig car which is an 06. And note that many DBW setups can be easily re-tuned by the aftermarket for a real jolt of response.

Our RAM with 5.7/ZF 8 speed combo has 3.91 gears from the factory as part of a towing package. The TM pulls so much throttle you really can't feel full power until you hit third gear! So I am totally with you on the TM comments.

Just note that all this is completely platform specific, varies wildly even in different models with similar powertrains.

Sure hope the back feels better!

Last edited:

Yes there are other hassles with large scale electric car adaptation but all solvable and the often cited "grid" is actually not that big a deal as you just tell the car to charge at night when demand is low, granted we can't put everyone in electric tomorrow but charging at night means there is a LOT of grid capacity available today.

Until everybody is charging their electric vehicle at night and demand is no longer low
wink.gif

If you aren't familiar with the discussion about the Duck Curve, give it a go. We discussed it on here a while back and member Shannow provided some great information.

One of my doctor clients has a 90D BTW, and it is a really neat car. I posted a review on it back in 2016.

In my gas pig an 07 MDX they started with 5 speed auto and it got 15city and 20 mph highway.

I think in 2010-2013 a 6 speed auto yielded 17 city and 23 highway. That is a massive increase considering paltry MPG. I belive the gains are similar with 8 speed to 10 speed automatics. I don’t see much more complexity/expense.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
A move from the Powerglide to a Hydramatic was a quantum leap
thumbsup2.gif

Haha, yes it was, and I was there! I remember all the squawking, griping, moaning, about how these new fangled 3 speeds were junk, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back