Whats the best free antivirus program as today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redhat
I really like BitDefender Free.

I used to like BD Free, but in the past few months they've had a bunch of hiccups - they pushed out bad updates/patches that caused serious issues for me - blocking legitimate websites, not updating itself, etc. I had to reinstall my BD Free, but now it refuses to pull definition updates. And since it's a free version, their customer support just ignores you.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
I use Avast, use to use AVG and got viruses, same with MSE, didn't find them, Avast found them and removed them. MSE seldom updates their virus database.

it is updated at least twice at day

Not free Avast, I hope.
I couldn't stand all their ads and there's no way to stop them. So I uninstalled it.

If it's the subscription Avast you have, I may try that someday, if I can buy it at a real bargain.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Funny MS builds a swiss cheese OS, but their security product is highly recommended?

They've really improved Defender these past couple years

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I used to like BD Free, but in the past few months they've had a bunch of hiccups - they pushed out bad updates/patches that caused serious issues for me - blocking legitimate websites, not updating itself, etc. I had to reinstall my BD Free, but now it refuses to pull definition updates. And since it's a free version, their customer support just ignores you.

Had the same issues; used Revo uninstaller and reinstalled and now it's working great again.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Had the same issues; used Revo uninstaller and reinstalled and now it's working great again.

They finally sent me some command line instructions to completely remove BD. I just reinstalled it. Let's see how it goes.

On the Win 10 box, I have made myself happy with free Avast. I can live with the occasional ad. Takes a little study to configure it to suit your need and it has a very active forum if you need more info. Haven't had a virus yet. I was using it on the Vista box, but last year there was a problem so I switched that one to free Avira...and so far it is good to go.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Been using Bitdefender Free for a couple years - never had any problems with it running on Windows 7. I also use Malwarebytes Premium (full version, not free) and SuperAntiSpyware Free.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I use the ESET online scanner. Kick it on for a few minutes once every month or two, and not clog up my computer with parasitic tasks. Whatever comes with Win OS is enough to keep me "safe"

Pretty much what I do but with Trend Micro House Call. I haven't been hit with a virus for years. If I did, I always have cloned drive on hand to get back up and going.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Just wandering what people are using for a free antivirus program. I dont go on shady sites but like some kinda protection at all times.

Dale

Just use Windows free Windows Defender Security Center, its that simple.

Last edited:
I recommend Avast these days. Bitdefender free is good- except they recently started installing some man in the middle certificate [censored] that broke things, so I don't use it now.

I had various issues with all the free ones.. from not working, breaking the computer.

Been using nod32 its not free but license can be had for free after rebate or 20-30$ for years

Don't know what the best is, but I use Avast. Used AVG for a long time, but at some point there was a change to it that absolutely crippled the computer, as in CPU was at 100% for long periods because of AVG. Try to open anything and something might happen 30 seconds later. Ditched AVG for Avast and it's back to normal.

I just use the included Windows Defender in Win 10. That, uBlock Origin and Chrome and Firefox keeps things running well, even when visiting the more "shameful" parts of the Internet.

If you want to cut past the chase switch to Linux. Otherwise you'll be forever shopping for the latest greatest virus killer. An ounce of prevention worth pounds of cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back