2014 Jetta...coolant needing to be topped off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On our 2014 Jetta 1.8T. I noticed again today that the coolant in the reservoir was low. It has fallen below the "min" mark on the tank at least 3 times since purchasing the car new in 2014. Is this normal behavior? The car runs fine and has not given us any issues. It is primarily used for running around town and driving to work which is very close to home.

Sorry the image is upside down, I couldn't figure out how to change it.

We went to the beach today, and of course brought some sand back with us. That plus all of the pollen we have had recently merited a wash and detail! All clean again

Do you have any UOAs on the Jetta?

And are you sure that the "excess" isn't just spewing out when the engine is hot? In other words, is that "min" line supposed to be used when the coolant is hot?

It's anecdotal, but on one of my British motorcycles, the "normal" cold coolant level is about half an inch below the low mark on the reservoir. If I fill it (while cold) to the low or upper mark, it'll just spew out.

We all know what a Jetta looks like, not sure why you're posting pictures of the body and interior. The only semi-relevant picture is upside down.

Original coolant? I doubt a leaky heater core, HG or radiator at 36K but a hose to plastic connector may have be weeping or the water pump seal. Add some dye and pressure test the system.

Is the coolant reservoir vented? Even with the smallest vent hole I would think
it was just evaporation. Three times in 4 years is nothing I would worry about.

You have a leak in the cooling system. Check for coolant stains on the outside of the cooling system. These cars have a lot of plastic parts in the cooling system that tend to crack and leak. Get them replaced in warranty if you can.

How fast does the car loose its coolant?
My car also had a leak - turned out it was an old stiff o-ring at thermostat housing. I lost about one liter evey month in the wintertime.
Look for pink residue at all cooling system connections.
If your coolant drips onto the engine block or transmission then there should be plenty residue there as well..

Originally Posted By: TriaxLubes
You have a leak in the cooling system. Check for coolant stains on the outside of the cooling system. These cars have a lot of plastic parts in the cooling system that tend to crack and leak. Get them replaced in warranty if you can.

Alright, I will do some digging around the engine bay and check for leaks. Yes, there are plastic parts everywhere!

I've noticed needing to add coolant on new cars as I guess the hoses stretch a bit as they get broken in. Usually around the 6 month mark.
Now the transit connect I have needs the coolant topped of on the regular during bitter cold spells as it drips a small puddle on the drivers side right under the front bumper. I've never really seen where it is coming from but I think it is where one of the lines connect to the radiator, probably an o-ring shrinking in the cold.

On a side note I don't understand the negativity about posting pics of the car itself. FFS if you don't like it just move on.

Normal to have to add a bit of water from time to time.

And thanks for posting pics. I prefer threads with pics, as it's easier than trying to visualize what we are talking about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

And thanks for posting pics. I prefer threads with pics, as it's easier than trying to visualize what we are talking about.

Hmmm, I never heard of this.

I also enjoy the pics.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
We all know what a Jetta looks like, not sure why you're posting pictures of the body and interior. The only semi-relevant picture is upside down.

So helpful.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Your welcome!

For some reason Ive always noticed since buying my car in 2010 that I had to add a bit of coolant from time to time. No other issues have ever come about. If its only requiring top ups once a year and doesnt require much, I wouldnt be too worried about it. Nice job detailing! You really maintain those cars great
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
For some reason Ive always noticed since buying my car in 2010 that I had to add a bit of coolant from time to time. No other issues have ever come about. If its only requiring top ups once a year and doesnt require much, I wouldnt be too worried about it. Nice job detailing! You really maintain those cars great
smile.gif

Thank you! I try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back