New Husqvarna lawn mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at mowers today and seen the same mower but with two different engines.The Briggs and Stratton 7.25 EXI and the other a Honda GCV for $50 more.Is the money difference worth it for the Honda engine?

They are both in the 160 cc range. I have two GCV’s. No problems. Are any or both assembled in the USA?

1. Buy for American content.
2. Buy the cheaper one.
3. Some people just like Honda’s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Idahokid
Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Honda probably wins in NVH, but then there is this:
https://www.sepw.com/blog/briggs-stratton-exi-engine-no-oil-change/

I seen that and wonder if I could change it anyhow.Im using a 1993 toro with aluminum deck and it’s getting tired.

Just use a hand pump to pump it out. It has the place to add oil. Briggs did this because no fuss battery operated mowers are making inroads.

Last edited:

I seen that and wonder if I could change it anyhow.Im using a 1993 toro with aluminum deck and it’s getting tired.

How tired is it? Old mowers are usually pretty easy to fix and keep going. I got my last mower for free with the old style 3.5 horse B&S with the gas tank under the carb. It was listed for $25, but when I showed up the guy just said to take it. I like the old B&S engines because they are so cheap and easy to fix. It needed a recoil starter clock spring, a stop handle cable, a new blade, and a carb rebuild. Now it's a good running mulching mower.

the old style 3.5 horse B&S with the gas tank under the carb. It was listed for $25, but when I showed up the guy just said to take it. I like the old B&S engines because they are so cheap and easy to fix. It needed a recoil starter clock spring, a stop handle cable, a new blade, and a carb rebuild. Now it's a good running mulching mower.

Best mower engines ever.

How tired is it? Old mowers are usually pretty easy to fix and keep going. I got my last mower for free with the old style 3.5 horse B&S with the gas tank under the carb. It was listed for $25, but when I showed up the guy just said to take it. I like the old B&S engines because they are so cheap and easy to fix. It needed a recoil starter clock spring, a stop handle cable, a new blade, and a carb rebuild. Now it's a good running mulching mower.

The throttle cable is broken and it’s got a metallic knock.

I was looking at mowers today and seen the same mower but with two different engines.The Briggs and Stratton 7.25 EXI and the other a Honda GCV for $50 more.Is the money difference worth it for the Honda engine?

Personal preference. Both will start, run well and last a long time with a little maintenance. I usually go for the higher HP.

Last edited:
Have a honda powered husqvarna and it needs carb cleaned each spring to run. hate the auto choke. I'll get a Briggs next time.

I would have to disagree with that, have had many B&S engines on mowers over the years -- there ok. I have a 2002 Lawn Boy with the Tecumseh engine -- original spark plug -- starts first pull after primed EVERY SINGLE TIME. Still running super strong and I have no plans on retiring it any time soon.

Dale

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
Have a honda powered husqvarna and it needs carb cleaned each spring to run. hate the auto choke. I'll get a Briggs next time.

I also struggled with the auto choke on my honda powered husqvarna. I've found that once I start the mower, if I let the choke go half way through its movement, then return it to full choke and let it run its full range of movement from there, the mower keeps running. I asked the dealer if there was a different spring available to slow down the choke, but no dice.

The two models I’m looking at are Lc121P and 7021P
The 7021P has the Honda motor and double ball bearing wheels.That might justify the difference.

I got a Husqvarna 7021P with a Honda engine last year and it has been really nice so far, starts the first time, every time. Much better than the B&S powered Toro Recycler it replaced. I had the opposite problem as mentioned here, I had to take apart and clean the carb on my B&S every time I mowed. I had that mower for 3 years and it was such a huge hassle. Haven't had that problem with the Honda powered Husqvarna. The craftsman powered B&S I had before the Toro ran for 20 years without an issue (until the self propelled mechanism broke, which is why I replaced it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back