Anyone use Mobil Super Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the Mobil Super Synthetic discussed on here very much. I suppose that is because it's mostly on sold at auto parts stores with the usual parts store high price. I use up all available M1 rebates already for another vehicle. The Pennzoil rebate isn't really worth it anymore with the recent price increase. QSUD and Magnatec are about $19-20 at Walmart stores or online so why bother with Pennzoil rebate. Today I noticed the somewhat rare Mobil Super Synthetic at Rural King for $19. It should be good enough for 5-7 k OCIs in our Honda CRV grocery go-getter short-tripper. Any Super Synthetic fans out there?

MSS 5w20 is in the Fusion … bought it on sale … will run to end of OLM that is normally 6k-7k range …

Its seems to be a little hard to find but I did see it on WM online a week ago. But the truth I can get a lot of other full synthetics cheaper. I've never seen it on Rollback at WM.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I used it once in my wife's Focus. I would use it again at the right price.

Dave I'd say you have hit the target in the X ring!

As previously stated, it’s a bit hard to find. I would use it if I could find it as it is the only Mobil synthetic product that meets Chrysler MS6395 for my warranty purposes.

I like Mobil Super Synthetic as well... Dexos gen 2 approved is a good spec to meet. I'd buy it all day everyday at $19.

And 4wd is right... It's good for runs that are 7500 miles. In the "warranty" with MSS it say that or change interval in your manual whichever is longer.

Nope, never have. Never been available at WMs in this area. Never seen an exceptional deal or even a reasonable deal on MSS that made me want to look for it or use it. In these parts it reminds me of the previous Mobil Clean 7500, a true unicorn oil. Never seen here on store shelves.

With QSUD and Castrol Magnatec readily available at WM and every day reasonable price, those would be my choices in that tier syn oil.

I have a couple of jugs of MSS in the 0W-20 grade which I may use in the Subaru given its very short recommended OCIs of 6K.
Combining store deals with past Mobil MIRs, this oil came to something like eight bucks a jug, so it's certainly cheap enough.
We have a privately held regional retailer here, Meijer, that stocks MSS.
Think of an upscale version of Walmart and you'll have a good concept of the store.

Isn't Mobil "Super Synthetic" just a bunch of Group III -
basically the same as SuperTech full synthetic, but a different bottle?

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
......it is the only Mobil synthetic product that meets Chrysler MS6395 for my warranty purposes

Has Chrysler MS6395 been superseded by another spec that applies?

Seems easy to meet:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4357081/Chrysler_ms-6395,_not_very_com

Nah it probably isn't the same as Supertech Linctex. It is a group 3 oil for sure. But Warren Distribution or Citgo makes the Supertech oils.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Nah it probably isn't the same as Supertech Linctex. It is a group 3 oil for sure. But Warren Distribution or Citgo makes the Supertech oils.

On the contrary bb, it's exactly the same.
Just as Velveeta is exactly the same as a decent hard cheddar. After all, they're both labeled as cheese.
You're just paying for the name when you buy a brand name oil.

I tend to think the $20 name brand oils such as MSS, Magnatec, and QSUD are a better value than Supertech and likely exceed specs (i.e. Dexos) rather than being blended to just meet them at a lower price point. It's going to be hard to make up my mind between these three. Might go with the MSS just out of loyalty since Mobil has been really good with rebates for at least a few years, but I also tend to think QSUD is very underrated and may just go with that.

I never really agonized over such oil minutiae until I found out about BITOG.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Just as Velveeta is exactly the same as a decent hard cheddar. After all, they're both labeled as cheese.

You are just kidding, right?

Velveeta is a processed cheese product. It is not cheese in the true sense. As for motor oils that’s a whole different enchilada.

lol.gif

I do not believe they are the same. Warren Distribution or Citgo maybe even Warren Oil, Amalie make Supertech. Could it be those blenders get their base oils from Mobil?? Sure. It's possible. For the exception of Citgo who likely uses their own base oils. But some of those blenders could well get the base iils from Chevron or Shell... But the end products do seem to be typically quite different in terms of additive package compared to known MSS. As well it seems that Mobil Super was unique in it's make up vs those other secondary blenders. Again, strongly suggesting it is made by and only by Mobil. As all the other blenders did not have anything that looked like it in terms of a spectrometery test.

Mobil Super Synthetic is made by Mobil. They use different additive packages as well. I do not think it is the same as Warren Distribution or the others. Not saying that makes it totally better. If say Supertech meets Dexos gen 2 and Mobil Super Synthetic meets it... Then not hardly any difference at least in it's starting form. Only a lot of UOAs that show whether either one stays in grade after similar running patterns and similar motor set ups and similar mileages... Then one could make a educated conclusion which may have held up better after being run.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I must need to have my humor meter recalibrated.
I post what I think must obviously be taken as dry wit and get three replies from members thinking that I was writing in earnest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back