Oil for new 18 Stinger GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual says you can use 5w40 or 5w30 in the TTV6. I was thinking about going with the thicker 5W40 but not sure which brand to go with. Plan to do the first change around 1k miles. I liked the 0w40 castrol I used in my Subaru but I dont like to stray from what is in the manual.

Last edited:
Pretty crazy that they'd let you use 20W50 in a 2018 vehicle as long as you lived in some place like Florida.

Seems like you'll be fine with any of the majors (Mobil1, Pennzoil, Castrol)

I just got back from Stinger training a couple months ago. This engine will be hard on oil. Either 0W-40 or 5W-40 would be my choice, and my dealership puts Valvoline Synthetic in everything. It's proven it's worth to me over the years.

1,000 miles is plenty for break-in. Don't be nice to it either, break it in in the same manner you plan on driving it daily.

And please let it idle for a bit before you shut it down if you have been driving it hard. It has "turbofolds", I.E. the turbos are the manifolds. They bolt straight to the cylinder head. They did this for real estate (or lack of) purposes. Space is tight and things get hot. If you run it hard and shut it down, without giving oil a chance to cool the turbo shaft bushings, deposits will build up from the oil sitting on the hot bushing and cooking. Bushed turbos aren't very forgiving to this abuse. (Vs ball bearing)

Enjoy the car, they're pretty cool. Have you tried out the launch control yet?

I LOVE the new Stinger GT. You can really see the BMW design elements come through. I would go with a proper ACEA A3/B4 0/5W-40 with 229.5, A40, and LL-01 manufacturer approval specifications. Congrats on the purchase!

Id run the 5w40 for regular driving. If you plan to run it hard and often (like track days)...definitely go a step or two heavier.

On a past turbo car i ran 5w30 during the winter months when I wasnt racing often and 15-40 during 3/4 of the year for racing

KIA engineers know what's required to protect an engine that's probably going to be ran hard.

Be sure to drive it backwards (on a closed track of course) really fast to make yourself younger.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I just got back from Stinger training a couple months ago. This engine will be hard on oil.

Did they go over anything about the engine's design with respect to what oil viscosity they recommended ... ie, like bearing clearances, oil temperature, oil coolers used, etc?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
That Steven Tyler guy looks really great for being 79 doesn't he.

I thought that was Mickey Rourke.

Thanks. I have not tried launch control yet as I have been following the manual on the break-in procedure. I love the car though and its driving dynamics. Fits me like a glove as well.

Originally Posted By: Spdfrk1990
What about rotella t6 which the subarus seemed to like that were hard on oil?

I was just going to say that RT6 seems to hold up to quite a beating with the Subaru crew. It may be a good option?

If I owned a Stinger, I'll skip the xW-20 [censored] and use a 5W-40/15W-40 HDEO like Rotella T6/Delvac 1 or Delo.

Originally Posted By: nthach
If I owned a Stinger, I'll skip the xW-20 [censored] and use a 5W-40/15W-40 HDEO like Rotella T6/Delvac 1 or Delo.

Where'd you see 0W-20?

This is the first Hyundai/KIA oil chart i see 0W-XX being one of the recommendations. I'd go 5W-40 or 0W-40 but Mobil1 0W-30 wouldn't scare me away either.

Great car! Enjoy it.

I'd pick something with a W grade that suits your locale, and DEXOS 2...in a brand name that you are happy with.

5W30 or 5W40

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Wow, didn't know car companies still used a proper oil viscosity chart.

Good to see! Kudos to Kia. I guess they're not worried about CAFE here.
wink.gif

Nice car drive it in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back