Computer issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just paid a computer place to fix a few issues and now I fire it up and all I get is a blank screen. Absolutely nothing. So what did these knuckleheads do? The original problem was that the sound didn't work and an error message popped up saying it couldn't reach the sens system. Why do o always have to take things back when someone works on something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impossible to know unless you can post up some pics of the computer in that state.

But you paid them good money so take it back and make them fix it for free.

Because he's ranting about bad service, not about a non working sound card.

How much did you pay?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Sorry you have issues, dude you seriously have tons of issues in life.....

I doubt anymore than others. Maybe I just don't explain things clearly. I would think 30 minutes to boot up would be pretty self explanatory as a problem. They didn't fix anything.

Computers are very complex. When they work I am grateful. I kinda expect issues. Regarding: What did they do? Why not ask them? Was there some sort of warranty with the work performed?

If someone comes to me with serious issues, I always try to talk them into a fresh OS install while keeping their documents and other items. When dealing with old OS installs with tons of installed and removed programs with a registry that’s a mess, I never offer a guarantee that it will be perfect.

Reboot the computer and hit F8, boot into safe mode, and transfer all your essential files to an external source. Then, if this is a big brand computer, boot up into the recovery mode and start fresh.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
If someone comes to me with serious issues, I always try to talk them into a fresh OS install while keeping their documents and other items. When dealing with old OS installs with tons of installed and removed programs with a registry that’s a mess, I never offer a guarantee that it will be perfect.

Reboot the computer and hit F8, boot into safe mode, and transfer all your essential files to an external source. Then, if this is a big brand computer, boot up into the recovery mode and start fresh.

+1; chances are the computer guys just bandaided the fix. Unlikely they will give you a detailed show me explanation because they would be basically giving away their business

For people who need to run Windows, I usually suggest a support scenario as indicated above.

As Windows ages it seems to perform more poorly; this has been true for the last 10, 20, 30 35 years or so. Imagine owning a car like that.

Make OS recovery disks when you get a computer and safeguard you other software install disks/license keys etc. Every few years or when problems occur, do a clean install and run updates.

Most people think they need a new computer when it slows down, what they really need is a new OS or OS install.

If you don't need any Windows specific software considering loading linux as the overall experience is far less aggravating.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
...saying it couldn't reach the sens system.

Post the correct error message?

Did the computer just go through an OS update?
All you need to do is to uninstall the update usually solves the problem.
There was somebody posting in another forum about losing the USB and it was caused by an update.
Unfortunately, even computer shop is only as good as the person who are fixing it.
Most of them does not know what they are doing, IMO.

Desktop or laptop?
Brand?
Age?
Specs? i.e., cpu, amount of ram, spinning HDD or SSD, graphics card, if any, etc
What version Windows? Is it kept updated?
What were the issues that caused you to take it to a shop? What were the "knuckleheads" supposed to do? What did they tell you they did? What was the repair stated on your bill?
Was it a local shop or something like the Geek Squad?
Do or have you run any "Optimizers" or "Registry Cleaners"?

These are some of the questions that anyone would/should/need to ask in order to give you the most minimal answer to your question.

Otherwise it's akin to telling the auto shop, it's broke, what's wrong with it? Sight unseen.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Sorry you have issues, dude you seriously have tons of issues in life.....

No, he just posts every little thing on BITOG. Isn't that what Facebook is for? Most people just deal with stuff and get on with life.

Take it back to the nerds and have them fix it. Easy, requires no hand holding.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Unfortunately, even computer shop is only as good as the person who are fixing it.
Most of them does not know what they are doing, IMO.

Yep. At a bare minimum, make sure the person doing the “work” is CompTIA A+ certified. This isn’t a guarantee that everything will come off without a hitch, but it’s about as close as you’re going to get. Kinda like if you need arthroscopic surgery and you get an NBA or NFL surgeon to do it.

Anyways, you have to understand- 90% of people that work in customer service IT jobs (like Geek Squad) have the absolute bare minimum of training to check the box- and have likely never even built an entire computer. They are like guys that aren’t mechanics but work at a quick change place- it’s something to pay the bills, and not a source of passion. I’ve built over 150 computers from scratch for friends and family, and when troubleshooting their problems I’ve spent hours on end fixing them. I could never do it as my “job” because my time invested would be worth more than their entire computer.

IMHO learn how to restore your computer to a factory/OS fresh state, and save all your personal data to another physical drive, so you nearly eliminate your risk of losing years of information. Periodically do a “roll-up” update to your master backup. With 256GB thumb drives available for less than $100, the only excuse if you lose everything is your own laziness.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I just paid a computer place to fix a few issues and now I fire it up and all I get is a blank screen. Absolutely nothing. So what did these knuckleheads do? The original problem was that the sound didn't work and an error message popped up saying it couldn't reach the sens system. Why do o always have to take things back when someone works on something.

Take it back to them, why mess with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back