:::Should I Put A Tilt Steering Column In My Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDL

I have an old 2001 Ranger, which I will likely drive until the frame rots through.

I love the truck; it's been reliable, handy, and it's economical. The vinyl seat and floor clean easily.

A few years ago I swapped the stock bench seat out of my 2001, for a split bench with armrest out of a 2006. I always thought that I lost some legroom in the process, and low and behold, when I parked by 2001 next to a 2006, I noticed that the steering column rake on the 2006 was above the dash/guage cluster (the 2001 steering wheel is below the top of the dash/guage cluster), to give the driver more legroom - since the height of the 2006 seat is taller than that of the 2001.

Since my Ranger has a manual gearbox, and legroom is at a premium (clutch is a PITA to operate because there's not a lot of room), I was thinking of swapping my column for a tilt steering column out of another Ranger.

I don't know anyone with a Ranger. Is there anyone familiar with the last generation Ranger truck (or similar Explorer), with a tilt column? If so, does the tilt wheel swing way up, or does the top of the steering wheel stop when it hits the top of the guage cluster/dash? Will a tilt column offer me a lot more room, or should I hold off until I get a bigger truck (which won't be for awhile).

Thanks in advance.

I had a 2004 that I bought new (which is basically the same as the 2006.) The seats sit considerably higher than the previous generation, and the tilt wheel rake was higher as well because of this. This was one of the reasons I got rid of the 2004, besides the fact that I wanted the Mustang in my signature.
I picked up my 2003 used to replace the 2004 and found the seats to be more comfortable. Replacing the column would probably get you more room; however, it might be easier to replace the seats in yours with a 2003 or older (if you already have tilt in the truck.)
I agree with you on the Ranger. The 2003 is my fourth Ranger, and I will run this one until it is beyond repair.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I had a 2004 that I bought new (which is basically the same as the 2006.) The seats sit considerably higher than the previous generation, and the tilt wheel rake was higher as well because of this. This was one of the reasons I got rid of the 2004, besides the fact that I wanted the Mustang in my signature.
I picked up my 2003 used to replace the 2004 and found the seats to be more comfortable. Replacing the column would probably get you more room; however, it might be easier to replace the seats in yours with a 2003 or older (if you already have tilt in the truck.)
I agree with you on the Ranger. The 2003 is my fourth Ranger, and I will run this one until it is beyond repair.

I appreciate your time and advice. Thanks! I do agree, by the way, that the 2003 and older Ranger's have much more comfortable seats; the 2004+ seats are much firmer.

As to your current Ranger, does it have a tilt steering wheel? If so, does the degree of motion put the top of the steering wheel several inches above the top of the guage cluster/dash?

Though the replacement of the steering column is a small expense, I would rather put that money towards other things if replacing the column won't offer much of an improvement.

Originally Posted By: NDL

I appreciate your time and advice. Thanks! I do agree, by the way, that the 2003 and older Ranger's have much more comfortable seats; the 2004+ seats are much firmer.

As to your current Ranger, does it have a tilt steering wheel? If so, does the degree of motion put the top of the steering wheel several inches above the top of the guage cluster/dash?

Though the replacement of the steering column is a small expense, I would rather put that money towards other things if replacing the column won't offer much of an improvement.

Yes, mine has a tilt wheel.
I just went out, put the wheel all the way up, put a rule on top of the dash, and put a straight edge on the top of the wheel. I get 1 5/8". From the floor to the bottom of the wheel is 20".
Having owned a 1993 w/o tilt, I can tell you that the tilt does make a difference. I would also say, that you could probably pick up an inch or two going back to the old style seat, because they have springs and there is give in them.
Three of the four that I have owned have had the tilt, and I much prefer that. I'd say that if you can pick up a nice set of the older style seats on the cheap, I'd try that before changing the column. If you are like me and plan on keeping it to the end, I'd do the column too.

This is the highest tilt setting in my 2002 Ranger...
H1RtwR6.jpg

It has five positions...I keep it in the middle. The highest position is really high for the seat, so it should give you enough upward adjustment.

Like others mentioned though, the '04 and later seats are not the best Ford put in these trucks. You may want to swap seats again and see if you still want to swap the column out. 1991-2001 Explorer seats are a common swap, but it has been a long time since I have looked into specifics...there is a lot of info about seat swaps on any of the bigger Ranger forums. My 1994 Ranger has the better factory bucket seats that were common in Explorers, and it's comfortable even without tilt. If you prefer a split bench with folding armrest/console, 1998-2003 Rangers have the best padding.

Originally Posted By: NDL

Yes, mine has a tilt wheel.
I just went out, put the wheel all the way up, put a rule on top of the dash, and put a straight edge on the top of the wheel. I get 1 5/8". From the floor to the bottom of the wheel is 20".
Having owned a 1993 w/o tilt, I can tell you that the tilt does make a difference. I would also say, that you could probably pick up an inch or two going back to the old style seat, because they have springs and there is give in them.
Three of the four that I have owned have had the tilt, and I much prefer that. I'd say that if you can pick up a nice set of the older style seats on the cheap, I'd try that before changing the column. If you are like me and plan on keeping it to the end, I'd do the column too.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
This is the highest tilt setting in my 2002 Ranger...
H1RtwR6.jpg

It has five positions...I keep it in the middle. The highest position is really high for the seat, so it should give you enough upward adjustment.

Like others mentioned though, the '04 and later seats are not the best Ford put in these trucks. You may want to swap seats again and see if you still want to swap the column out. 1991-2001 Explorer seats are a common swap, but it has been a long time since I have looked into specifics...there is a lot of info about seat swaps on any of the bigger Ranger forums. My 1994 Ranger has the better factory bucket seats that were common in Explorers, and it's comfortable even without tilt. If you prefer a split bench with folding armrest/console, 1998-2003 Rangers have the best padding.

I can't thank you enough - both of you - for giving me a hand. While this tilt wheel swap isn't an expensive project, I didn't want to waste money that I could otherwise put towards other things.

Thanks again to you both; your detailed replies (measurements and picture) really helped with my decision making process. Since I am going to keep the truck, the seat/column swap is worth the time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back