2016 Tahoe LT 5.3 30K Mile Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far just oil changes every 5-6K miles. Oil is around 30% at that time and still full.

Using 0W20 Mobil 1 AFE and sometimes 0W20 Mobil 1 EP when on sale. Using only AC Delco Filters.

Averaging 24.5 miles per gallon on my long trips from Miami-NYC. A/C is on all the time. With the 26 gallon gas tank cruising range is between 400-500 miles. Not sure what local mileage is. Traffic is gridlocked big time in my neck of the woods everyday of the week. I use nothing but plain old regular 87 fuel.

The Tahoe is very comfortable for long trips but if you have more then 2 kids you definitely need something like the Suburban as when the 3rd row of seats are up there is very little room for all your gear.

Good friend has a 2001 Tahoe 4wd. That thing is lucky to get 18mpg on the highway if you baby it. However, it has an excellent ride and some of the most comfortable leather seats I have ever ridden in. I want to say he is approaching 200k miles on it. No engine or other driveline issues. The Tahoe is one of my favorites!

Originally Posted By: klt1986
Good friend has a 2001 Tahoe 4wd. That thing is lucky to get 18mpg on the highway if you baby it. However, it has an excellent ride and some of the most comfortable leather seats I have ever ridden in. I want to say he is approaching 200k miles on it. No engine or other driveline issues. The Tahoe is one of my favorites!

Yep, I have an 01. 18 mpg, with summer blend...

Between the 6L80, the DOD and VVT, and the improved aerodynamics, the new Tahoe's really have improved economy wise.

What gears are installed in your truck?

Last edited:
Really like ours ~ running M1 0w20 EP out to 5% OLM - regular gas … never check mpg ...
Have the M1 AFE on deck …

Just back from a long road trip in a new Explorer rental (what we had) = not the same …

Originally Posted By: dareo
Amazing. Are you driving slow? What speed are you getting this 24mpg?

Cruise Control set at 73

Hand calculated or from the dashboard lie O- meter?

Pretty awesome considering what fuelly reports as averages for the 2016 5.3.

Average is 16.8 among 30 vehicles with 600K miles tracked and 1900+ fill ups.

You must have a feather touch.

UD

Could be the standard 3.08 … mine is 3.42 and that’s not aggressive for a 4WD with trailer package

16/22 MPG is window sticker claim

Last edited:
24 would be awesome, that's what the MGM in my sig gets on it's best day with the cruise set on 65 on flat interstate-and I thought that was pretty good for a V8 fairly heavy sedan.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Could be the standard 3.08 … mine is 3.42 and that’s not aggressive for a 4WD with trailer package

16/22 MPG is window sticker claim

Now that the 6 and 8 speed slushboxes are in use it is very hard to find a rear gear much shorter than 3.42. That's what our ultra heavy duty 3500 Vans ship with now, always used to be 3.73 or 4.10

For comparison my 3L hybrid has lexus averaged 24.3 over the last 4000 miles.

My 01 suburban with a 5.3 returned about 14 on the same cycles.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

Had calculated on several tanks when there was zero traffic tie ups.

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

Had calculated on several tanks when there was zero traffic tie ups.

You are definitely on the high side of whats standard for that rig.

Some guys have the touch - Im pretty good, but not great my grandad could always get incredible mileage from anything somehow - even when I mirrored his path and curves seemingly identically I could never beat his numbers.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back