Major oil companies off brand labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a quick search, probably did not word it correctly, but what are the major companies off brand names? I see Napa oil and filters are valvoline and wix. With a baby girl now, I'm going frugal. If it's been covered, which I assume it has, a link would be great.Thanks

Supertech and Magnatec are probably the cheapest FS oils that will do you well for a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

Just remember that because Sopus, Mobil, Valvoline, etc. supplies an off brand label dosen't mean that they are equal to their flagship products. Most times companies will formulate a product to meet a price point. Not saying they are bad. They just aren't an exact twin of the name brand.

Pennzoil markets Oil Pro to workshops in New Zealand...After Shell took over Pennzoil they upped the oil price, so workshops (me included at the time) dumped Pennzoil. They came back all sorry with the old oil price, and a new label with no mention of Pennzoil. It must work because Oil Pro is still out there in workshop bulk tanks.

I was lthere once! Look at the website of the majors and use their rebates. Make sure it has the SN and GF approval and that it says synthetic. You cannot go wrong and in most cases you can beat the off brand prices.
There is a posting section on rebates on the forum and it’s kept pretty much up to date. Good luck.

Last edited:
A lot of "off brands" and store brands are made by the two Warrens (separate companies with confusingly similar names), Amalie, Phillips, or Citgo. Generally they are decent oils that meet current standards, but aren't the same recipes as the biggest brands.

Last edited:
Informative info all the way around. I will definitely research supertech and magnatech. I am currently running platinum 5w20 in my ram 1500, by chance does Pennzoil supply a store brand oil?

Originally Posted By: erikz16
Did a quick search, probably did not word it correctly, but what are the major companies off brand names? I see Napa oil and filters are valvoline and wix. With a baby girl now, I'm going frugal. If it's been covered, which I assume it has, a link would be great.Thanks

FRAM makes the best synthetic type oil filter on the market, IMHO. You might consider using one of these for long term mileage (10K miles+). If you do the 5K mile OCI the FRAM EG now has a silicone ADBV. WM sells this filter starting at $3.77. The silicone ADBV is worth that amount alone, IMO.
(I must be getting soft, advocating the OCOD
crazy.gif
)

Do you have a Meijer in your area?
Meijer often offers store coupons/deals that you can then stack with MIRs to get either PP or M1 for ten bucks a jug or less.
This won't help the Harley, but you can often find 20W-50 on clearance and there are also often clearance deals on dedicated bike oils. Of course, you could also take advantage of the store deals and MIR and purchase some M1 bike oil, which I believe Meijer stocks.
If you just want inexpensive oil and don't want to mess with MIRs, do you have an RK in your area?
Their everyday price on the house brand synthetic is very reasonable.

Originally Posted By: erikz16

Frugal with a 2017 Dodge truck??

Yeah, I've been going back and forth with a guy at work for awhile about Peak brand oil which he uses, I never heard of it. I've always been M1 or PP, and he got into my head about the money I'm wasting and showed me how Peak is comparable to M1. I figure Id just start buying the pennzoil generic or Napa brand and use that instead. I drive roughly 40 miles a day highway, don't tow or haul. Am I really gaining anything but spending the extra cash? For some extra moly or whatever? I spend almost 90$ for an oil change on my bike, found quicksilver full synthetic at walmart for 28$ and it has great reviews. I see guys here buying whatever oil is on sale, switching between oils and viscosity and the car has 250k on it, no issues. As it's been pointed out before, oils have to meet standards to be sold. As long As I'm sticking to the correct weight is PP or PUP really going to be better for me than Napa oil and a Napa gold?

And no offense tig, but I just noticed you have a couple ford fusions in the garage, I wouldn't be calling anyone out on what they drive or questioning how much money someone wants to spend or not. Haha.

Do you have any Rural King stores around? Their Harvest King full synthetic oil is $10.99/jug. And it meets a pretty high standard. Used to be made by Warren which makes Peak oil. Now I think Citgo makes it.

I do not, but that's a good deal. I'm up in Philly, Napa is about as small a store with the best deals that is near me. I have a few Wal-Mart's around, but they raised the price on PP to 28$ a jug. My vehicle takes 7qts, so I have to get 2 jugs every other oci and thats if it's in stock. 5w20 seems to be pretty popular these days, so it has been out on occasion when I wanted to get it. Went this week to Napa because of sale, he was out and had to order it from a D.C location. As I'm standing there, I look over and see shelves full of Napa brand oil, which got me thinking why am I having to chase down Pennzoil when this guy has shelves full of his store brand oil for cheaper, that's why I keep referring to Napa oil. And now we are here. Basically I just wanted to know the Pennzoil store brand and if it's in my area.

I feel your pain as my Tundra has an 8 quart sump. I'd not have a problem running the NAPA synthetic oil but with the rebates Pennzoil has on their synthetics there is really not a reason why you can't run a name brand oil for a reasonable price. Do you have an O'reilly Auto Parts in your area? If you do, they have PP on sale for $28.95 for 5 quarts. They have a mail in $15 O'reilly gift card and when you combine that with the $10 Pennzoil rebate, you have spent less than 5 bucks for 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum. Mobil 1 also has an excellent rebate going on right now, so the name brand oils can be very affordable if you look around and plan ahead.

Enjoy the time with your daughter...they grow up too fast!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Do you have any Rural King stores around? Their Harvest King full synthetic oil is $10.99/jug. Used to be made by Warren which makes Peak oil. Now I think Citgo makes it.
Almost right. The former Rural King oil was made by Warren Oil. Peak (and some SuperTech) is made by a confusingly similarly named outfit, Warren Performance Products. Each of the two Warrens makes several other store-brand oils. You can often tell who made which by looking at the container.

WPP is Warren Distribution I believe... Which they make very good oils. Including this oil at Federated Auto for $3.29 to $3.59 usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back