G-OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost and availability obviously spook some people. Non-ILSAC doesn't help, either, at least for most applications. The cold weather numbers are pretty nice, though, for a 5w-30 with that HTHS.

I figured as much. I know it used to be inventory at Walmart but now has to be ordered. $99 for three jugs. Considering it's a GrpV and all the environmental benefits, not a terrible proposition.

No, that's not totally out of line. Even the NextGen didn't catch on up here, yet Walmart's house brand up here is re-refined, so go figure. People are strange, sometimes. I don't think the G-OIL ever got into our Walmarts' inventory, but I could very easily be mistaken, given how inventories differ from one Walmart to another, and how poorly stocked some of them are with even "ordinary" brands.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I wonder why more folks don't use this oil.

This company still owes me a rebate check from about 5 years ago.
BTW, have you checked their stock price lately? I've got about as much faith in them as I do in Sears, K-Mart and Enron all rolled up in one.

With its very high specific gravity of 0.92, and its ratio of HTHS viscosity to kinematic viscosity at 100C, it clearly has a large ester content. 0.84 to 0.85 specific gravity is typical for 5W-30 motor oils made mostly from Groups I-IV.

Years ago, I was not impressed by the UOAs in terms of TBN and shear stability. Have they been drastically reformulated?

I was thinking about G oil yesterday when I was shopping for 2 stroke oil.

$28/jug shipped.

Amazon lists three 5.1qt 10W-30 jugs for $99. On top of that you get another 15% off, which comes out to the $28 per...

I bought 6 jugs (2 orders).

Didn't know this stuff was still around. It used to be sold at WM and I used the 5w30 several times in a 3.4L Tacoma still running strong. Back then it was often Free After Rebate so I used it.

The rebate motto back then though was, 'we will deliver no rebate before its time'. Its time was 90 days/3 months, no sooner. But, I always got it.

Im running the last jug of full syn 5w30 in my civic. have done in the past . runs well . no issues

Wallyworld used to have it on clearance for$ 21 per jug

I just bought 6 qrts of racing 5w 30 full syn for $36.99( free ship and no tax) from autobegreen on amazon last month

Another reason might be the state of the company.......current stock price of $0.0055 per share as of 3/24/18.....I currently have over 4000 shares hoping one day they'll make a comeback and make me rich!!!
grin.gif

I only used the stuff a few years back when it was FAR. Beyond that, I would not go out of my way for it.

I ran 4 oil changes of the stuff through my then 2014 Wrangler with the 3.6L Pentastar. It was the only oil that I actually got a slight increased wear of iron in my oil analysis. Stopped using the stuff and the iron wear went down to normal levels.

Also, they are pretty adamant about the 5 year shelf life because of the beef tallow base they use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back