Snowblower issue. . . MTD w/ 5HP Tecumseh Sno-King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this blower for about 15 years (since new) and it's always worked well until this year. It starts hard (it used to start on first pull), after starting it runs OK until you put a load on it and then it bogs down easily (very little snow will make it almost quit). After it warms up, it pops sometimes, like maybe it's running lean.

I've tried some fuel system cleaners, running new non-ethanol fuel etc. with no improvement. I'm thinking the carb needs to be removed and cleaned, which I'll do this spring. Is there anything else I should be checking? NOTE: this blower doesn't see heavy use--about 4-5 times per season on average, so it doesn't have much time on it.

Also, I've put a new plug in it. It doesn't run better with choke on after warm up.

Last edited:
If it has the little spring loaded button on the bottom of the carb bowl, turn off the fuel and drain the carb noting how long it takes to drain fully. Remove the fuel line from the tank and fill the carb with straight Chemtool,
Remove the plug wire or ground it and pull the engine through a couple of times with the choke on then let it sit a day or so. Reconnect the line but leave the fuel turned off.
Drain approx half the bowl out (half the time you noted) and turn the fuel on and try it.

If no joy remove and properly clean.

Old Tecumsehs had a spring loaded needle valve at the bottom of the bowl.This was a mixture screw.All the vibration those Tecumsehs dish out loosen that screw constantly.The bogging sounds like a governor problem,like a spring issue.

I assume the Sno-King engine is a flat head engine with the spark plug on top. After you replace the carb and if that doesn't work you might have a typical issue with Tecumseh flat head engines where the exhaust valve seat recesses causing the exhaust valve to not close completely. This usually causes similar problems to yours. Is your exhaust port running hot and or glowing red while running? This could be a sign of a not closing exhaust valve. On flat head engines the exhaust valve stem needs to be ground down to compensate for the recessed exhaust valve seat. I'm not sure but maybe you can buy exhaust valves with different valve stem lengths.

Whimsey

It was a couple of winters of struggling with balky Sno Kings that led me to mounting a 99$ HF predator onto my 40 something Ariens. If it doesnt start after 3 pulls, then I forgot to turn the gas on. 4th season so far and it performs perfectly
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back