M1-AP analyses coming in slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 1 year since M1 AP was released, yet we're not seeing many analyses on how the oil is holding up, and of the ones we've seen, none were even remotely close to 20k miles. I know that part of the reason is the price, and it doesn't seem like it wants to come down.

Has anyone seen a high mileage UOA somewhere else?

They need to market it it with another name like Mobil 1 Ultra EP, say it's made from fossils like gtl, and sponsor bitog. Watch the sheep come and get it.

WMT has it now for a hair under $40. If they can get a little lower it might start selling a bit more, then maybe the UOA reports will start to trickle in. At the current price I see zero value in it. If they drop the price too much it will compete more with it's sister products which is something I think XOM wants to avoid. Too much competition between siblings might mean eventually dropping a product.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
WMT has it now for a hair under $40. If they can get a little lower it might start selling a bit more, then maybe the UOA reports will start to trickle in. At the current price I see zero value in it. If they drop the price too much it will compete more with it's sister products which is something I think XOM wants to avoid. Too much competition between siblings might mean eventually dropping a product.

Someone on here a while back did a cost analysis comparing it to Mobil 1 EP and what price premium could be supported by the extra 5000 miles of service you'd get with AP. That assumes of course you can stuff those extra miles into the one year limit that is also part of the guarantee. I think that the group of people who drive 20,000 miles in one year instead of 15,000 and are wiling to pay a fairly significant premium to escape an oil change is pretty limited.

I agree it would be nice to see some high miles UOAs. It’ll be probably a year more before mine racks up 20,000 (yes I will be out of compliance with the guarantee) but I’ll trow up an interim sample in the 7,500-10,000 range. Right now it has about 7,000 on it.

It’ll be interesting, I’m not sure it will have a ton of value past that.

I cant see that product remaining in the (Mobil and Walmart) lineup very long, poorly priced and marketed. At 13 bucks on closeout I might grab some otherwise it can sit there collecting dust.

Include this in the Rebate program currently being run by Mobil and I think you will see it fly off the shelves.

Just saying.............
laugh.gif

Exactly right Trav. The Mobil 1 AP is collecting dust in my Wally World as well. Has is the Royal Purple for $37.

We seem to believe all the marketing hype of syn oil except how long it lasts.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exactly right Trav. The Mobil 1 AP is collecting dust in my Wally World as well. Has is the Royal Purple for $37.

I just bought 2 Jugs of RP 10w-30 for twenty dollars a jug two weeks ago from Mobil 1 AP for twice that price. But it seriously kind of tickled to get the Boutique oil for $20 dollar a 5 quart Jug. Its going to be my summer oil.

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u

Include this in the Rebate program currently being run by Mobil and I think you will see it fly off the shelves.

Just saying.............
laugh.gif

I don't think so because the rebate will also knock the price down on their other products. Like Trav said when it is covered in dust and blown out on a clearance sale for $13 a jug I'd give it a shot. Otherwise the dust can pile deeper.

It actually seems to sell pretty well at my local Walmart, I see someone leaving with a jug almost every time I am in there.

In my local WM I have seen the stock of AP go up and down. However as a M1 user I don't see the need for this oil in my engines. Perhaps for those who drive 40-50 K a year. However, I actually believe this oil will do what XM says. I have a friend that does 15-20K OCIs on regular M1 5-30 in his Silverado 5.3. Results: 350K with no engine problems related to the oil. Another friend does 15-17K with M1 5-30EP in his Dodge van. 200K when sold and the engine showed no sign of wear or increased oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: incognito_2u

Just saying.............
laugh.gif

I don't think so because the rebate will also knock the price down on their other products. Like Trav said when it is covered in dust and blown out on a clearance sale for $13 a jug I'd give it a shot. Otherwise the dust can pile deeper.

I don't see it moving in my local WM. For a while it seemed they even held off of stocking the other M1 oils and it still did not move. If i see it =/< other M1 oils or its clearance i'll bite.

No makeup oil over 10k, wow! thats amazing. The TBN looks strong for M1 products, which usually drop fast, but don't usually go below 2.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
No makeup oil over 10k, wow! thats amazing. The TBN looks strong for M1 products, which usually drop fast, but don't usually go below 2.

I don't add oil in my 10K OCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back