Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Saturday afternoon BITOG faithful. So, I am 38 and attached but sometimes very depressed. Dunno if it's work or something else. Any ideas to help improve this? I do go for walks at local park often and ice skate at ice rink nearby and shoo some pucks at nets as I'm a diehard Penguins fan

Thank you all in advance

Maybe I should buy some vintage records to help me relax more

Take stock of the things you are thankful for. Im sure there are more than things that make you depressed. You make many people happy here with your C&P's. Everyday is a gift and there are many people worse off than you. If you feel things are really bad, seek professional help. Theres no shame in asking for help. I recently underwent open heart surgery at 49 and now have PTSD which I am getting help with.

I would talk to your doctor maybe he/she can give you some advice. Not being a **** but a forum is no place for this sort of thing, bad advice can have consequences.

Find a therapist and psychologist. If you've felt this way for a long time, it may be a chemical imbalance.

Are you sleeping enough? That's huge!

Are you eating well? Just as important as getting enough quality sleep

Are you exercising? This is behind the above two, but still very important

Originally Posted By: Jason_Michaels
Take stock of the things you are thankful for. Im sure there are more than things that make you depressed. You make many people happy here with your C&P's. Everyday is a gift and there are many people worse off than you. If you feel things are really bad, seek professional help. Theres no shame in asking for help. I recently underwent open heart surgery at 49 and now have PTSD which I am getting help with.

Thanks and Kamele0n: I'm looking at doing more skating and possible hockey playing with friends

I take 3 or 4 fish oil capsules from Walmart every day. These work as well for me as antidressants. Your mileage may vary, but, it is cheap to try and safe. No side effects except a fishy taste sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I take 3 or 4 fish oil capsules from Walmart every day. No side effects except a fishy taste sometimes.

Yea but last time I did that & without enough exercising....my cholesterol level went... @&#*
wink.gif

Don't worry, Adam, SPRING IS COMING! The end of this endless winter can't come soon enough! Then it'll be motorcycle and convertible season! Try to catch a good comedy this weekend, laughter is the best medicine.

I'll second the physician consult. Physical things can cause this. I would have your vitamin D level checked. Check it before you supplent, so you know where to start and if its part of the problem. Its important, and low in many people this time of year. It can make you feel bad.

Last edited:
Adam, I know what you're talking about. Most days at work I wonder why I submit myself to the torture I get there, and I would consider something else if there was anything that paid anywhere close comparably, within even an hour or so drive. I agree with spasm, get a Vitamin D test done first, and then get to spending time in natural sunshine and a high-quality vitamin D supplement. Find something that is exciting to you as a hobby and DO IT frequently... I look at the local dragstrip every time I drive past and sigh, because I haven't had anything worth racing since shortly after meeting my wife. I long for the smell of race gas and burned rubber, and I think this summer I'll make it a point to make "me" time to just go and take in the smells.

In the meantime, hopefully some solace and contentment can be found that you are a valued member on this board and do much to build the knowledge base. You're not alone, and there are definitely resources available to help. See what your local VA offers as well to get you back on the right track.

Of course, seek professional help.

For myself, I find the focus of working on something and being productive helps. Getting motivated can be difficult, but idleness just feeds the depression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back