Cheap compact pickup for 3k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my old 1997 jeep is on its last leg of its life, I need to start looking for a new car. After my car has broken down twice already this year, my mechanic told me not to put much more money into it. I would prefer a 4 cylinder compact truck because I am going to be going to college in the fall and will be driving a lot. I won't be hauling every day, but will occasionally be. Any recommendations for something reliable and good mpg? Also if you could add what I need to look for when I am looking at the specific truck. Thanks in advance!!

A reliable compact pickup with good MPG for $3,000? Mostly that could be like finding hen's teeth. But try the usual sources like autotrader.com, cars.com and craigslist. I wouldn't worry so much about a particular model's reliability, but more with how the truck has been used and maintained.

Speaking of hen's teeth, you may try to find an older Mazda, Mitsubishi or Isuzu compact truck in your price range. They'll sell for less than a Toyota or Nissan. Good luck!

Nissan hardbody with the KA is a great option. Reliable as it comes and with the manual and an lsd upgrade for the rear end isn't hard to do or expensive.

Everyone will chime in and say ranger or s10 which are fine trucks and do come with 4 cylinder options, I just prefer the hardbody.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
Nissan hardbody with the KA is a great option. Reliable as it comes and with the manual and an lsd upgrade for the rear end isn't hard to do or expensive.

Everyone will chime in and say ranger or s10 which are fine trucks and do come with 4 cylinder options, I just prefer the hardbody.

Those Hardbody trucks are really hard to find with any life left in them anymore, honestly.

Yes the Ranger and S10 are more commonplace, but parts are still easily obtainable. I picked up my '99 S10 back in 2016 for $3K. The 4 banger is really slow, but it starts everytime I need it to. I've put 1K lbs in the back and it didn't argue much. If the OP was closer I could definitely part with it.

Just get a 2WD ranger/b2300 with the 2.3 duratech (2002?+)

I regularly drive mine to Western VA and with the 5sp manual get about 31mpg.

Modern DOHC engine. Ancient chassis. No nonsense

I occasionally express disappointment with some items on it, but mostly they are rants for items that are easily fixed.

I am @ about 127K with very little break/fix items

Last edited:
Less common but potentially great cheap truck is the Toyota T100 1995-1998. Only problem area is rust and i assume you can check for that before buying one. I used to get 17 mpg city in my old 4x4 3.4 V6 5 speed and the truck could haul heavy.

I agree on the old Rangers. cheap to buy, seem reliable, and cheap to feed. A couple years we were moving and my old chevy broke down, and wasn't worth fixing, so found a 95 ranger 2 wheel drive 4 cyl. 5 speed for $1700. used it to move and sold it a year later for $2000.

Last edited:
Another ranger vote. I had a 2003 that would get 30-32 mpg if I didn’t thrash it. Pretty small inside but it did everything I asked of it reliably.

Get a 90s dodge dakota with the 3.9 V6 and a 5-speed manual, 2wd.

The obvious answer is some old geezer's truck that wasn't his only vehicle so it only has 90k miles.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The obvious answer is some old geezer's truck that wasn't his only vehicle so it only has 90k miles.
laugh.gif

This happens often enough that it is worth pursuing. There is always some guy who has lovingly maintained a rarely driven vehicle, and then gets too old to drive and dies. The relatives aren't into that particular vehicle, so it ends up for sale.

I own a dead man's car, myself. I salute him for his past efforts. If I keeled over tonight, who knows what my wife would do with these vehicles.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
Basically any compact truck from the last 25 years was pretty good. At a $3k price point, it's all about the previous owner(s) and how the truck was kept.

This pretty much sums it up. At that price point, condition is nearly everything. I'd stay away from more obscure stuff like Mitsubishis that may have parts availability issues, but any of the trucks sold in larger numbers are good if their condition is good.

2001-2011 Duratec I4 equipped Rangers/B-Series are excellent trucks and the MPG is as good as it gets in a body on frame pickup, but in the $3K range you will mostly be looking at well worn older regular cabs. Still good trucks, but I wouldn't limit myself to that with only a $3K budget or you may be in for a long search to get something good.

I'd also look at SUVs based on common truck platforms. MPG won't touch a Duratec Ranger, but resale is lower than pickups, and you can get more out of $3K. A friend of mine recently found a very clean 1996 Explorer 2WD with 127K on Craigslist and talked the owner down to $2K. The front suspension was shot and it needed some other odds and ends, but no rust or anything that couldn't easily be repaired. For around $3K total he has a clean, reliable Ford truck based SUV with leather, sunroof, keyless entry, JBL stereo, etc. Here is a pic after replacing all the blown out front end stuff and getting it aligned...
t5sUM1x.jpg

Probably only 16 MPG in town and around 23 max on the highway, but at $3K for all that 1990s Ford SUV goodness, who cares.

I am guessing that since U R getting rid of your Jeep, and assuming your Jeep has 4 wheel drive that U would want a 4x4 mini truck. If so then yes a Ford ranger would be my vote. 93-97 will have the TTB (twin traction beam) front end be sturdier off road. They came with 3 engines. 4 banger, 3.0 (3.slow) 6 cyl and 4.0 6 cyl. I would get one with the extended cab since they R small inside. Ext cabs are also much easier to find. I have a 94 single cab short bed 4.0 manual tranny. I get between 15-17mpg in winter and 17-22 in the summer. I also run 32” mud tires on 2” lift with 3.21 gears ugh!

Last edited:
I looked at a forlorn '94 Ranger sitting under a Maple tree with a bad clutch. The paint was shiny except the patches. The 4.0 ohv started easily. I drove the truck a 100yds and fell in love with the battered little heap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back