Bacon grrase, drippings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a crock that i keep bacon grease and drippings in. What do you folks do with yours? I make over easy eggs and my grandma Shick "vanishing oatmeal chocolate chip" cookies with it

Originally Posted By: car51
my grandma Shick "vanishing oatmeal chocolate chip" cookies with it

you cant post that and not share the recipe...

I would love to try those!

Is it safe to reuse? I've always tossed mine out as trash and used clean plant oil for cooking.

After frying bacon, yummm, I'll save the bacon fat for a while and use it when making omelets and fried eggs. After a while I get rid of it because I get new bacon fat
grin.gif
. I'm 64, not going to live forever, I've been at deaths door already and intend to enjoy what time the good Lord allows me. Though my cholesterol is not bad, it's just not doctor perfect. Doctors destroyed my parents old age enjoyment by telling them to avoid "bad" but enjoyable foods. They died too soon from non related food causes without being able to enjoy the pleasures of good food.

Whimsey

Had a chicken stir fry in olive oil for lunch with broccoli, onion, mushroom, minced garlic, cashews and a little shredded cheddar cheese on top. No starch and no sauce. It's my go-to meal.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: car51
my grandma Shick "vanishing oatmeal chocolate chip" cookies with it

you cant post that and not share the recipe...

I would love to try those!

Agreed

I fry everything in either olive oil or butter nowadays. When I do bacon, I sop the grease up with the paper towels I used to degrease the cooked bacon. Throw them in the trash. Clean the skillet with Dawn which emulsifies the remaining grease and it’s over.

We've got two "crocks"...well jars.

One gets tha bacon grease, fat from the roast pork belly, or lamb, lamb chops and fat from the smoker. Stays in the fridge, and is used to grease the pans if we are pan frying stuff, or do baked vegetables with a roast.

The other is the "miscellaneous fats...they get used to light fires/charcoal, but usually thrown out.

We have wagyu dripping, duck/gose fat, and sometimes lard in the fridge.

We dump it. My mom is from the south and used to keep it in a jar for later use in the cast iron skillet.

My son and I tried to make popcorn with bacon fat and my wife had a fit and wouldn't let us.

Kinda odd, since she's from the south. Must be a new, healthy south.

I cook with it. Just like our forbears did, the difference is I and I suspect many of us have to make a concious effort to engage in physical activity to prevent fat accumulating in my body. Our forbears had a simple way round this in most cases, it was called "going to work".

Claud.

Last edited:
Some times I will make potato chips with it, if there's a good amount in the pan. My wife will save fat from our free ranging chickens(very yellow from all the good stuff in it) and duck fat, but not store bought bacon grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back