2008 accord 2.4L ps pump leaking, replace/reseal

Status
Not open for further replies.
142k miles on original pump, I have turkey bastered the reservoir 3-4 times since new using Honda fluid.

On the middle of our few week trip to new York and I noticed after a 700 mile trip on interstate that I had a bit of fluid on bottom of pump, reservoir is about 1/2 down between full and low.

I think for sure the seal between the rear cover and pump is leaking. As the rest are inner seals.

I can buy a seal kit on rockauto for $20+ shipping.
Plus a shaft bearing for about $20? What brand is best/oem?

Or just buy a new pump for $225?

I think I can make it home just top off the reservoir And wipe it when filling up at Gas station?
Doesn't help that I am a 12 HR drive from my tools.

Last edited:
The one on my old Accord was leaking similar to yours, I replaced the o-rings and the shaft seal and it cured the leak. It wasn't a huge job but does take some time. I got the parts online from a dealer. I replaced every o-ring and seal that was shown in the parts diagram but I think the culprit was the rear cover ring and perhaps the shaft seal.

and it looks like rockauto seal kit is sold out...
also oreilly auto parts had a seal kit but it is also showing OOS...
I guess I'm buying a new OEM pump.

any one know if a dealer will credit you for the core return?

or anyone know if a parts store autozone/advance/napa etc would give you a store credit if you didn't buy the part from them?
(I have gotten auto and powersports battery core credit on a gift card even though I didn't purchase new parts from them.)

Last edited:
On RA you can sign up for email notification when the item is back in stock. Keep it topped and you could probably wait a few weeks. Just don't wait long, many times the item will sell out again after a few days.

Or just buy the parts online as mentioned. Collegehillshondaparts.com

Last edited:
I would put the new Honda OE pump in. Wow the price of those has skyrocketed, 2 yrs ago they were $108 with core and you put the pulley on, now for the same part # its $224 from the same place.
I don't know of anyone paying for cores.

Whoever you order the OEM one from should take cores. I put a new Mopar on one my Liberty last fall and I sent the old one back.

As above, do the orings first, they're dirt cheap and can be had on ebay for something like $8 shipped for both of them. This cures the problem most of the time.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
and it looks like rockauto seal kit is sold out...
also oreilly auto parts had a seal kit but it is also showing OOS...
I guess I'm buying a new OEM pump.

FWIW Honda dealers sell the individual o-rings and seals and it wasn't that expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back