2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx PPHM 5w30 4,227 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good. Low iron and aluminum. I'm curious how if solid mos2 particle are in the oil, that the insolubles are not higher?

Looks good, but you can run that oil way longer than 4.2k. I'd go 6.5k and resample. BTW, if you go on Blackstone's website to get your report, you can click the little "Export without personal data" so you don't have to scribble out your info in Paint.

I'm surprised that Blackstone said TBN is "sitting strong" at 2.6, when 2.0 is their cutoff point to render an oil no longer serviceable. Must be a new guy working there who made that comment.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I'm surprised that Blackstone said TBN is "sitting strong" at 2.6, when 2.0 is their cutoff point to render an oil no longer serviceable. Must be a new guy working there who made that comment.

But yet it reads anything greater than >1 is desirable? I'm confused? Is the 2.0 cutoff maybe from another oil or is it the same across the board for all oils?

The 2.0 cutoff was something that they used to mention a lot in the past, perhaps they've changed their test methods now they say anything above 1 is good? Either way, even if 1 is the cutoff, I'd hardly call a TBN of 2.6 as being "strong"

Originally Posted By: irv
But yet it reads anything greater than >1 is desirable? I'm confused? Is the 2.0 cutoff maybe from another oil or is it the same across the board for all oils?

You're correct about anything higher than 1 being desirable irv. Never heard of 2 being the cutoff. A 2.6 TBN is fine and I'd be happy with that after an oci.

Originally Posted By: Patman
The 2.0 cutoff was something that they used to mention a lot in the past, perhaps they've changed their test methods now they say anything above 1 is good? Either way, even if 1 is the cutoff, I'd hardly call a TBN of 2.6 as being "strong"

Agreed. That's pretty much used up.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

You're correct about anything higher than 1 being desirable irv. Never heard of 2 being the cutoff. A 2.6 TBN is fine and I'd be happy with that after an oci.

2.6 after a less than 5,000 mile OCI doesn't point to an oil being all that capable at many OEM drain intervals. We also lack TAN to contrast it to, giving us only part of the picture.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
2.6 after a less than 5,000 mile OCI doesn't point to an oil being all that capable at many OEM drain intervals. We also lack TAN to contrast it to, giving us only part of the picture.

Car sees severe service and who knows how long it was in there for. Below is from another thread.

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx lt v6 3.5, 145,000 miles. Lots of city stop and go driving.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Car sees severe service and who knows how long it was in there for. Below is from another thread.

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx lt v6 3.5, 145,000 miles. Lots of city stop and go driving.

For such a short run, I would have expected better TBN retention. This isn't a forced induction application or an engine that has a reputation for being hard on oil as far as I'm aware. City driving is a factor in many UOA's posted here, and that still, on vehicles with an OLM, tends to lead to OCI's much longer than this one.

Would liked to have seen TAN as well, as I noted earlier.

I agree, 2.6 is pretty decent, imo, for almost 5,000 miles of stop and go city traffic. It would be interesting to see the TAN as I am sure it is pretty low knowing full well the TBN is actually working/doing it's job with this oil.

Like I recently learned, if an oil has a higher TBN number, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing as there is a pretty good chance it's not doing it's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back