Best Hubcap Option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost one on the Matrix and a new one is $35 shipped. Seems a bit much for a piece of plastic. Walmart has some universal ones for $23, which is for all four of them. Plus they don't look that much worse than the factory ones. I'd even be ok with a wheel cover from a Pontiac Vibe since they are similar. Maybe search some local salvage yards but they prob want around the same price I'm thinking. Even Rockauto has a replacement cover that's been refurbished. But same price as previously mentioned for $35. Would like to put something on there. Thank you.

edit: Looks like Rockauto ran out of them again. But can sign up for when they're back in stock. They're the 16" ones.

You can find hubcaps on CL.

I still don’t like how Toyota hubcaps are not held on withlug nuts like the older Hondas. You hit a bump and hubcap falls off.... or someone steals them off your car.

They have a metal ring that's held in place by plastic tabs. I think some of them were broken when Walmart put new tires on years ago. Since that's when this one started having issues. It was making clicking noises and sure enough the metal ring needed to be re-adjusted which is when I noticed some of the tabs were broken. Wheel cover only has to come off when new tires are installed.

The hubcaps I know if we’re never held on with anything but friction. Are we mixing up terms here? There are hubcaps and there are wheel covers. Two different things but I can see the terms getting mixed up.

Those who will remember some really nice chromed moonies will know what I mean.

Last edited:
FWIW, I've had good luck with used and new OEM wheel covers from eBay for the '99 Accord in my sig.

Separately, a trick I''ve used on older classics is to apply some small pieces of duct tape on the rim at just a few contact points.

Last time I was in Europe I saw a number of vehicles with their wheel discs being "held on" with clear plastic ties. The ties wouldn't hold the disc on but would act like an emergency belt to keep the disc with the wheel should it came loose.

Won't help with your lost disc but it might help save the rest.

You don't have to worry too much about theft with the ones that are $23.00 from Walmart.

I have seen those in the auto section-they are not that bad looking for the price.

Last edited:
Take off the other three
19.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN
You don't have to worry too much about theft with the ones that are $23.00 from Walmart.

I have seen those in the auto section-they are not that bad looking for the price.

I'm really not too worried about anyone stealing the oem ones. I've seen a few Toyotas with the WM hubcaps which look like the ones below. Those kind of remind of the ones on the state hwy patrol cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back