Favorite Parents/Grandparents meals of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody,

Just wandering what your favorite meals your parents or grandparents make/maked that use LUV/LUVED. For me it would be my Dads Mom -- home made chicken pot pie -- she would roll her own dough. My Mothers Mom -- home made ham dumplings -- she would make these huge doughy dumplings. Oh the things we take for granted.

Dale

Last edited:
Bessarabian-German Knoephla soup

Actually, my Grandmother was Finnish... she cooked just plain american food.

However, the "Grandma" who ran the school cafeteria was a descendant of Germans from Russia -
she made the BEST SCHOOL FOOD IN THE WORLD!!!

Grandma's home made Ravioli and Linguini, all hand made from scratch. Ravioli cast from a whiskey glass, Linguini hand cut and hung a broom stick covered with wax paper. She's gone over 30 years now and I can still smell and taste them. When she passed away, there were some in her freezer and they were divided among the family members. Great food!! I miss her!

Mother: Homemade Biscuits and Gravy with sides of bacon. Mom makes her gravy from the bacon grease! Best breakfast ever.
Mom also makes the best cornbread I've ever had.

Grandmother: Country Ham (Southern style) with Red-Eye Gravy and homemade mashed potatoes.

Grandmothers of yesterday, born in the early 1900s, they could cook...I remember mine, great memories of meals when we all sat down together....I don't think today's generation will ever eat food that good again.....to many fast food moms these days,,to bad...

Corn bread made in cast iron forms. When they were done they looked like ears of corn. Oh, I almost forgot the breaded and fried chicken livers!

For me theres just too many to count. Growing up in the 1970s,everything we ate was homemade. We didn't even have a microwave until around 1986. And on weekends we have the most incredible homemade breakfasts,and everyone sat at the table together for every meal. God I miss those days so bad!

My English grandmother on my mother's side used to make Cornish pasties for me - fried ground beef and onions inside a pie pastry, shaped sort of like a large perogy. They were basted with something while baking so they had a shiny glaze. Wonderful stuff!

I've been near vegetarian for decades now, and might not enjoy pasties if I were to have them now, but in my memory they were the best food ever.

My mother's mother used to make macaroni and cheese and tomato, baked in the oven. My absolute favorite and always will be. Been many years since I have had it since she passed back in 1996.

My grandmother ( who was the daughter of Polish immigrants ) did things with cabbage and kielbasa that nobody in the family has been able to replicate so that was always a favorite. Cornish pasties figure in there too because a lot of the "special" meals involving Grams or Gramps would be ethnic in their orientation straight from your genealogy.

Fried chicken with white gravy, green beans, cream corn cut right off the cob, creamed potatoes, biscuits or corn bread, fried apple pies. All from my Mom. She was born in 1913, ate this type of Southern food all her life, and passed away in 2011, a month shy of her 98th birthday. I hope I inherited her genes.

You had me at home made chicken pot pie. My mother use to roll her own dough, too. A simple meal, but so delicious.

If you're ever in Philadelphia, PA, go to the Reading Terminal Market. There's a restaurant there run by the Amish, The Dutch Eating Place. They have a chicken pot pie that's pretty good, homemade noodles, it kind of approaches mom's chicken pot pie. It's worth stopping for.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Pierogies

That, and my mom will be laughing down at me to see this, but her roast chicken. She made it so often when I was a kid I was sick of it and tried to avoid it as much as I could. It's been too many years and I'd want it again.
wink.gif

Hungarian style chicken with homemade spaetzle.

Home pounded round steak fried in a cast lron skillet after the trimmed fat was rendered to cracklins to make grease to fry the meat, then mom's home made cream gravy that deglazed the brown crusty bits into it. My job was tenderizing, usually with a meat cleaver, taught to me by my dad.

Fried chicken was also in a cast iron skillet with cream gravy that deglazed the pan.

Much like aquariuscm, almost every meal was homemade. Exceptions were pizza and the extremely rare bucket of KFC.

Don't get me started on made from scratch baked goods always available as dessert.

Last edited:
Meatballs and spaghetti with meat sauce that makes me hungry thinking about it! Excellent pies and desserts always as well. It's been over 30yrs.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Exceptions were pizza and the extremely rare bucket of KFC.

Same here!
cheers3.gif

On Friday nights we would go to Mr Gatti's and pick up a pizza and go to my grandmother's house to have dinner with her,and on Saturdays we would pick up a bucket of KFC and go to my great grandmother's house to eat lunch with her. God I miss those days so much and miss them something terribly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back