Longer spring hangers for landscape trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a tandem axle trailer built about 9 months ago and they put really short spring hangers on the trailer so now one of the axle u bolts hits the frame on bumps. I'm not sure why they did this. It's got a 4" c channel frame and other than a rougher ride it seems okay. Apparently a lot of trailers are made this way to keep the ride height down.

Also should I make the trailer place fix this? It was a somewhat custom trailer, but I still think the axles need more than 1" of clearance.

They're 5 leaf springs. I don't think so. They're beefier looking than my other trailer that only has 3500 pound axles.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would you guys do in my position? Looking at other trailers, this one is messed up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a picture? When leaf springs compress, they lose their arc as they flatten so they get longer. The hanger ends move out to compensate. If I’m picturing this right, your 1.5” long hangers aren’t long enough to allow the leaf springs to flatten out and could be creating a bind that will sooner or later bend or break something. I think I’d take it back to the builder.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
What would you guys do in my position? Looking at other trailers, this one is messed up.

If longer hangers will fix the problem... then do that.
You can make your pwn with some flat bar steel and a drill.

It's a tandem?
How far from the frame is the equalizer?

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
Can you post a picture? When leaf springs compress, they lose their arc as they flatten so they get longer. The hanger ends move out to compensate. If I’m picturing this right, your 1.5” long hangers aren’t long enough to allow the leaf springs to flatten out and could be creating a bind that will sooner or later bend or break something. I think I’d take it back to the builder.

The hangers are fixed in this case. The equalizer in the middle is what creates the movement since it's a tandem axle. Nothing is binding it just bottoms out on the frame so basically their isn't much of a shock absorber.

The hangers are fixed in this case.

Like this?
I don't think mine is built like this:

tandem-axle-double-eye.png

If you're within the weight capacity of the trailer, and it's bottoming out, the manufacturer should have to deal with it. Especially since it isn't an old trailer.

Yes and the axles are in between the leaf springs and the frame.

Would it be too high if the axles were swapped under the springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back