Amsoil OE

Status
Not open for further replies.

02z

So, we bought a new to us 2013 Toyota Sienna in November. The manual calls for 0w20 with 10k mile change intervals. I do not intend to extend the intervals longer than 10k miles no matter what the oil is capable of. I run Amsoil in my motorcycle and want to know if Amsoil OE (which is their entry level product good for manufacturer spec intervals) is as good as something like Castrol Edge with Syntec. They are similarly priced and I’d like to run the Amsoil but want the best product for my dollar.
Does anyone have experience with Ansoil OE??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NH73
According to Amsoil, you should be able to do that.

What he said. Is it as good as Castrol Edge? That depends on who you ask...and the price. I like OE, but I can get Castrol anywhere so personally I would vote Castrol with my dollars...or VSP or M1 or PP. They are all equal and separated by price and preferences

Originally Posted By: 02z
So, we bought a new to us 2013 Toyota Sienna in November. The manual calls for 0w20 with 10k mile change intervals. I do not intend to extend the intervals longer than 10k miles no matter what the oil is capable of. I run Amsoil in my motorcycle and want to know if Amsoil OE (which is their entry level product good for manufacturer spec intervals) is as good as something like Castrol Edge with Syntec. They are similarly priced and I’d like to run the Amsoil but want the best product for my dollar.

They advertise that it is good for manufacturer's interval; IMO it will do as well or better than any off-the-shelf oil.

If you’re going to be going 10,000 miles between changes and you like Amsoil, how much more is their signature series oil? The extra cost per mile spread over 10k miles is going to be real low. My guess is that if you use their OE grade you will start thinking about it at 5;000 miles and change it so it will end up costing more than the signature series.

I myself would only run their OE oil to 7,000 and that means you need to up your choice to their XL oil. A perfect fit for your 10,000 mile run.

Last edited:
I think all the top brand synthetic oils at Walmart are better than the Amsoil OE. I would never buy anything from Amsoil that was not their top shelf product.

I do buy Amsoil ATF and gear oil.

If Ams floats your boat do it. But it is still more expensive than the big names if you buy by the jug at Walmart.

The sad (frustrating) part is that you'll never know without oil analysis.

Me? Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula in my non-turbo '07 Volvo 2.4l 5 cyl. with 7,500 OCI.
I'm doing an analysis at 7,000. I still won't know everything but I'll have a better idea.

That's the only kind of thing you can do to "know" about your situation.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: NH73
According to Amsoil, you should be able to do that.

What he said. Is it as good as Castrol Edge? That depends on who you ask...and the price. I like OE, but I can get Castrol anywhere so personally I would vote Castrol with my dollars...or VSP or M1 or PP. They are all equal and separated by price and preferences

equal in what?

2018 Subaru first change at 2k with Amsoil 0w20 XL I find it locally again at 6k Amsoil XL at about 7 Dollars a qt not cheap and will only go 5k change time to look. 10k change Amazon sells 5qt bottle Zepro 0w20 Dexos Idemitsu brand 28 dollars on my door step.
No complaints about the Amsoil just looking for cheaper and comparable option I believe this is and higher quality at least spec wise will be running 5k runs with OEM filters for warranty reasons also it’s litterly a 5min job on the Subaru why not.

I can buy OE for $5.49/qt plus tax. XL for $6.75/qt. Signature for $9.25/qt. All of those prices include shipping but do not include sales tax of 7%.
The manufacturer recommends 10,000 with any 0w20, so why would I want to run a shorter interval wth any synthetic oil? I live in GA and don’t do any towing. Only hauling kids around.

I did do a transmission pan drop and fill with Signature Series ATF and a new filter. The severe service interval on transmission is 60k and I don’t know how the previous owner treated it. Though I do have the dealer service records where they serviced the car every 5,000 miles from new.

So, we bought a new to us 2013 Toyota Sienna in November. The manual calls for 0w20 with 10k mile change intervals. I do not intend to extend the intervals longer than 10k miles no matter what the oil is capable of.

You sound like a perfect Candidate for SuperTech 0W-20 oil, changed every 10K

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think all the top brand synthetic oils at Walmart are better than the Amsoil OE.

Even the store brand full synthetic can run that interval.

The Amsoil OE will be fine for 10k, but so will any 0w20 synthetic
smile.gif

I sell a lot of Amsoil OE 0W-20. Mostly to Toyota owners. Every UOA I have seen has been great. Never any complaints in ~5 years. No excess consumption, or any thing else at the crazy end of the scale. PLUS all my searches, time here, etc - tells me this is a good oil. Especially for the price. Not at all will you need SS, and not sure why people are even saying this.

I assume you get the PC price, if not contact me. Amsoil OEZ 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back