Do you prefer BBQ sauce tangy, smoky or sweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my sweet tooth gets me every time!

Do you have a fave sauce? Mine is Sweet Baby Ray's

Last edited:
I like stubbs bbq sauce! Tangy, smoky or sweet, Id say it depends on what im eating but likely tangy with a little smoke and a little sweetness!

Making your own BBQ sauce is also a fun thing to experiment with.

Last edited:
Depends upon the food, not just the meat but how it is done.

Sweet or sweet with a little spice is generally the preference. Sauces that use molasses are desirable to me too...

For some pulled pork, the straight vinegar BBQ sauces are good, but sometimes I combine.

It just depends...

For easy shopping, I really like the Wegmans store brand sauces (different city styles). They don't use high fructose corn syrup the way some other commercial brands do, and they taste good.

I prefer smoky or original, not tangy or sweet. I have Bulls Eye Original in the fridge at the moment. It uses real sugar.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

This is the one we buy!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

A LOT CHEAPER, too!!!

There's some amazing recipes online -
I do like mine a little on the warm side,
so i like to add different kinds of pepper(s) as I experiment.

I like the taste of Sweet Baby Ray's but it contains HFCS. So avoid it if I can. I like Great Lakes Barbecue Sauce for a little bit more. Made with beer. Prob around $2.99-3.49 per bottle if I remember correctly.

https://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/node/1501

For those in Ohio Montgomery Inn Barbecue Sauce is another fav.

I made a "slap-dash" BBQ sauce and it was good.

Remember when steak sauces enjoyed a vogue? $14 for a small bottle of spiced tomato sauce....NO THANKS.
I've been making my own steak sauce for years.

The ingredients they "ALL" share: tomato base, tamarind, orange, chopped raisins, anchovy paste....EASY TO MAKE.

So when I found a recipe which called for BBQ sauce I simply did the same thing. I forget the basic ingredients at the moment.

Simply, I'd prefer a vinegar/mustard based BBQ sauce. Too much sugar on meat is not to my taste.
Whatever you like....GO FOR IT.

I like stubbs bbq sauce! Tangy, smoky or sweet, Id say it depends on what im eating but likely tangy with a little smoke and a little sweetness!

Stubbs is good. I cut it with apple cider vinegar.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

That's my favorite one too!

^ Contains HFCS, sodium benzoate/benzoic acid, gets a D from this site:

https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=CEE5EBBA-E105-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

Originally Posted By: Linctex

A LOT CHEAPER, too!!!

There's some amazing recipes online -
I do like mine a little on the warm side,
so i like to add different kinds of pepper(s) as I experiment.

That's very true. I prefer what my wife makes to anything else. But that's not what you get in restaurants or always in the fridge...

Aaron Franklin's espresso BBQ sauce is one of my favorite sauces. Kind of a pain to make, since you have to have to run to a coffee shop to have an espresso shot pulled. I also leave out the brisket drippings, usually because I don't have any, but also because it shortens the shelf life considerably.

I've also made his "classic" sauce, which is heavy on the vinegar, but I'm not a big fan of vinegar sauce. Other people like it though...

https://www.eater.com/2015/7/2/8864653/franklin-barbecue-sauce-recipe-meat-burgers-ribs

My typical "fridge bottle" is Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy.

I will use anything that doesn't have that nasty liquid smoke in it, but prefer tangy. We've been using Sauers BBQ sauce for years, which is on the tangy/vinegary side. It's hard to find around here anymore, but family members have found it in West Virginia and they bring some back occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back