Dump or Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a push mower without a drain plug, do you prefer lifting the mower and dumping the oil out or getting it out with a pump? Pros, cons?

When i run out of fuel, I turn my pushmower on its side. I put my pan on the ground and the pushmower on the ramp to my storage building. Puts the mower a foot higher than the pan.

I just dump. Flip it sideways and tilt til it comes out. Its a mower that was left by previous home owners so i could care less if its messy. Change the oil once a season and im going into season 4 with it...and id guess its already 5-7 years old when i first got it. It does what it needs to but wish it had a bag for clippings when i mow the grass when its too high.

Last edited:
I prefer a vacuum extraction. I put blocks of wood under one side of the mower so that the oil runs towards the fill tube.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Flip it sideways and tilt til it comes out.

That's the way I do it too.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
When i run out of fuel, I turn my pushmower on its side. I put my pan on the ground and the pushmower on the ramp to my storage building. Puts the mower a foot higher than the pan.

It's a pain in the butt, but this is what I do too. 2 people helps.

I had no idea that they made mowers without a drain plug. I'd have thought that just because they sell mowers that you don't have to change, doesn't mean you can't via a drain plug...

Yes, i'll never check and add. I realize that will work for a lot of owners but i just can't do that with my equipment.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
When I run out of fuel, I turn my pushmower on its side. I put my pan on the ground and the pushmower on the ramp to my storage building. Puts the mower a foot higher than the pan.

Exactly!

Never tip a mower on its side with a full tank of gas!!!!!

I consider just topping off an engine as needed almost abuse. Did B+S test this procedure out? Will the venerable 3.5 hp last as long on top offs as it does with a yearly oil change?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I had no idea that they made mowers without a drain plug. I'd have thought that just because they sell mowers that you don't have to change, doesn't mean you can't via a drain plug...

They realize most mower owners never change the oil anyway.

Getting them to actually keep enough oil in the mower - - - - whole different story

But if you can JUST TRAIN owners to actually check the oil (laugh) and add if necessary, it'll last a long time.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

They realize most mower owners never change the oil anyway.

Getting them to actually keep enough oil in the mower - - - - whole different story

But if you can JUST TRAIN owners to actually check the oil (laugh) and add if necessary, it'll last a long time.

About 10 years ago, my rider was in the shop so i borrowed my BIL's mower. Since it was the begining of the season, i thought i would change the oil for him since he let me borrow it.

I changed it and mowed, when i returned it, i told him in exchange for letting me use it i changed your oil, so you don't need to do it. he looked at me funny, change it? You need to change it? I've never done that. The mower was 10 years old.

So you are right, the average owner just runs it.

If you really want a lawnmower to last, buy some lock-tight and lock all the bolts and nuts. I find stuff vibrates off and you lose the fasteners in the grass. Missing parts is why most people give up and buy new lawn mowers, in my opinion.

My 1990 Honda HRS21 holds .37 qts [roughly 11ozs] and drains from the filler hole located on the bottom front of the engine. No drain plug.

If you're serious about keeping the OPE without an oil drain plug then just buy a cheap multi-use pump for around ~$6-$7. Then you can easily change the oil and keep your OPE alive longer without the mess of tipping the equipment to change the oil.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back