Anyone go to the Formula 1 US Grand Prix at cota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about attending the race later this year in Austin, TX. Any of you ever been? Any recommendations for section to sit in or things to do/avoid?

I haven't been for the Grand Prix, but I did see V8 Supercars there back in 2013. I stayed at the Hilton Airport hotel, well worth it and very close to the track. We sat in the main stands on the front stretch. If you sit on the upper sections there is a bar in the main grandstands that is really cool with tons of outlets to charge your phone.

We did sit in the stands at turn 1 for one of the practice sessions and you could see a lot more of the track that way than on the front stretch.

Don't be on a straight. Or atleast be able to see the braking zone and corner entry at the end of the straight. Make sure you can see a screen clearly too. Or perhaps you can live stream it to your phone now?
Get some press credentials or something to watch from the tower, I think that must be very cool.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Don't be on a straight. Or atleast be able to see the braking zone and corner entry at the end of the straight. Make sure you can see a screen clearly too. Or perhaps you can live stream it to your phone now?
Get some press credentials or something to watch from the tower, I think that must be very cool.

this is good advice - watching the cars brake and the leave a corner is something to see. having sat on straight also, there is no comparison.

this is race I want to attend someday soon. is the new jersey race idea dead?

I have been to all but one F1 race at COTA. If you want to buy seats I would recommend the far west end of turn 12 grandstands or somewhere in turn 15. For general admission, turn 1 is good but get there early and stake out a place! Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Only if it has an elevator. Too many stairs!

Originally Posted By: gatorfast
I'm thinking about attending the race later this year in Austin, TX. Any of you ever been? Any recommendations for section to sit in or things to do/avoid?

Don't stay in any motel that is along I-35. I did that in 2015, and the traffic never abates on that road. I didn't sleep at all in the three nights I was there.

The airport Hilton is really cool. The building was the former Strategic Air Command building and is supposedly the closest hotel to the circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back